Pool party

Finn

Mr. Kiss didn't come into the cafe that afternoon but I wasn't sure if it was because of the whole, you know, or if it was just way too hot to want coffee. I can't imagine him drinking anything iced since he apparently thinks even cream is an abomination to coffee. It's probably not me, or the thing, right? Right.

This morning I checked my weather app and the predicted high was 97. Talk about an abomination. It very rarely hits 90 even in August and I can't remember it ever hitting 97. Luckily my boss is amazing and sent his little tribe of misfits a message.  I asked my phone to read it to me and I only had to do necessary watering and then head to his grandma's cottage asap for a pool party and lunch. I've only been to his grandma's cottage which is in fact, huge and right on the water, once. I helped Jack do a fall clean-up last year after most of the summer misfits had headed off island to go back to college or escape to somewhere warmer for the winter. She has one of the few pools on the island; most people didn't bother because the season is so short and the ocean is literally never more than like 10 minutes away. They're old money though and have one of the largest estates here and at one point, installing a pool must have been the thing to do.

I am super glad to have an excuse to not go mow at Wisteria and worry about running into, or away from, him. But damn, that kiss. I've been a mess since I first saw him reclining on the chair, shirt off and that gorgeous chest on display. I'm not even gonna think about how one leg of his shorts was hitched up and his legs. Phew. He's just dreamy. I can't pretend like I expected the kiss but looking back on it, he's been sort of leaning over the counter when he orders his coffee and I did sit down right next to him. It's like our bodies knew something our brains hadn't realized yet. Well, I'm awake and as fully realized as Ms. Brene Brown and that hot mess of a man is NOT something I should be involved in. Or with. And he definitely, definitely should not be involved in me. Ahem.

So, since I'm not going over there I have no reason to think about him. I only have to water the pots at one property and it's on the way to the pool party so by 9 am I am lathering myself in sunscreen and helping Jack fill coolers with ice. I make polite chitchat, we catch up on work, and then he asks about yesterday.

"What did you two get up to yesterday?" he asks.

My eyes are so wide that for a moment, I wonder if they can get sunburnt. Up to? OH! That's right, Mr. Shortshorts told him I had a job. I don't lie to Jack, so I tell him "He actually thought I looked too hot and just wanted to give me a break."

I get a sharp look from Jack. "Oh shit, you didn't mow, did you? Never, never put yourself at risk like that. Besides, it's not good for the grass" he jokes.

"I didn't, I didn't. But you know me, I get pink. I'm probably ragosa rose pink right now."

He tilts his head to the side. "A tad. Well, he could have just said that. Well, whatever, dude is a little high maintenance."

"He's not so bad" is out of my mouth before I realize that I should have let the conversation die.

Jack smirks at me. "Looking. No, no he's not. Well, as long as he's treating you right, I'm happy."

I'm not sure if the kiss yesterday qualifies but I'm pretty damn happy too. It's nice to be wanted, even if it's not going anywhere.

*** Sorry that I didn't get a chance to update yesterday and there's only one today but life is busy.  I'm doing my best and promise this one will get finished.  It's not going to be too long :)  Here are a few images to help you envision the island.

  It's not going to be too long :)  Here are a few images to help you envision the island

The sign says:  Gardener wanted

The sign says:  Gardener wanted.  Must look good bending over ;)

  Must look good bending over ;)