Nike

Finn

Unfortunately for Jordan, we have to work today. The high is in the upper 80's so the heat definitely hasn't broken, but Jack asked us to get as much done as we could before lunch. So, after spending an hour deadheading at Brandywine and then replacing a few annuals which were not feeling the crazy temps so soon after planting, we headed to Wisteria. Most of me hoped Mr. Kiss wouldn't even be there. It would be simplest. But then I'd have to face him alone for the first time after the incident. Oh well, whatever is gonna happen is gonna happen. 

 Jordan blasted music as we biked over and we both sang the chorus a tad louder than we should have. Oh well, life is short and I plan to enjoy each and every beautiful day. I'm just telling myself that all the stares coming our way were because of our amazing voices and not because we were being obnoxious or because Jordan is wearing a fully bedazzled halter top that stops way before his shorts start.

As soon as we park the bikes, Jordan turns and starts staring at the windows. I grab the mower and toss a compost bag his way. "Jordan!" I hiss. "Just be cool, please?"

I get a very noncommittal "Mmmhmm" before he sashays into the yard. "I've never been here before. It's cute."

"Yeah, it's a nice yard and the view from the porch is great." I always love watering those pots.

I'm almost done my half of the yard when the back door opens. "Isn't it too hot for that?" Mr. Noname asks.

Jordan is between the two of us in a flash. "Oh, don't worry, I'm going to take over soon. I'm Jordan." Mr. Peach just nods. "And you are?"

"Not worried about Finn anymore." And the door closes. I almost want to laugh at the look on Jordan's face.

"Rude!" he mouths as he turns back to me. "But hot" he whispers, taking the handle of the mower. "Go water the porch pots and water yourself too. I got this."

We radio in to Jack when we're done and he tells us to head to the Rose Hotel to help with the watering before going to lunch. They have about 8 thousand planters so I'm not surprised it's all hands on deck. We decide to eat at my place. I have leftovers and Jordan is more than happy to abandon his sandwich. As soon as we're there, it's obvious that Jordan isn't finished talking about Mr. Wisteria.   In fact, I'm pretty sure that holding it in while we did the hotel watering was quite a feat.

"He didn't tell me his name on purpose. And you don't know it either? Maybe he's on the run."

"Jack knows it, and we are sort of remote but a cabin in the woods would be a better place to hide. Besides, he rented a cottage. Not exactly incognito."

He thinks about it for a second. "Maybe he used a fake name and paid cash."

"Yeah, I'm sure that's it." I toss a grape at him.

"Well I hereby dub him 'Nike'."

"Nike?"

"Yes. Just do it! Finn, he's obviously interested. Why aren't you hitting that?"

He knows better. He knows what happened last summer. "Remember Will? I refuse to date any more tourists."

Jordan laughs. "I didn't say anything about dating, honey. Because you're right, nothing good for you will come out of dating a tourist. But Finn, it's gonna be a long summer and it's not like there are many guys to choose from. Other than Jack." We both shudder because he is definitely hot but like a father to all of us. "So you're just gonna be a monk? Hope some young, hot, gay, vers or top millionaire moves to the island full-time?"

"He doesn't have to have money. But I get your point. It was a long winter." Realizing that it's been almost a year since the last time I did anything is depressing. Even to me.

"Exactly!" He smiles at me like he's won something. "So since Nike is here and you're going in with your eyes wide open that this is just gonna be a one-time thing, why the hell not? Don't get your heart all messed up in it and don't make it complicated. Just ask him if he's down." He whips out his phone but looks disappointed. "Not on Grindr, unfortunately. Or maybe that's good for you. Thought I'd see what he was looking for."

"Jordan! Jesus."

"Well you obviously need some help. Think about it and let me know if you wanna team up again next week, it was nice working with you. I don't mind going with you if you're worried but I don't think he's dangerous."

"No! No, I don't think so. It's just awkward." He said sorry! Who says sorry after kissing someone? Jordan jumps up and grabs his bike and rings his bell on his way out. I have an hour before I need to be at the coffee shop and think I'm going to take a long, cold shower. Maybe I'll be able to think straight after that.  I'm not usually a casual guy but maybe Jordan is right.  Once couldn't hurt anything, right?