House Atreides

"Paul

"Paul... Marcus..."

Caladan
Homeworld of House of Atreides
Year 10191 AG

Paul Atreides is surprised by the dream as he awakens in the early hours of the morning.

He is disturbed as he sits in his bed.

A table covered in food and crystal glasses is set by Lady Jessica. She is gazing out over the lovely valley. Wishing she could stay in the paradise she will soon depart.

Paul: Mother

Paul joins her as she turns to watch him cross the room. He fills his plate with food as he takes a seat at the other end of the table.

Jessica: It's good you're up early. Wish I could say the same about your brother. Your father wants you both in full dress before the Emperor's Herald arrives.

Paul: Full dress? Military?

Jessica: Ceremonial

He slumps a bit at that. Much rather be in military...

Paul: Why do we have to go through all this, when it's already been decided?

Jessica: Ceremony

At that, Paul cannot help but grin. His mother always seems to be thinking two steps ahead of him.

He receives a glass of water from Jessica. He expects her to deliver it to him as he reaches across the table, but she declines. She instead places it directly in front of her.

Paul is not happy and he is aware of what she is doing.

Paul: I just woke up. Can I please...?

Jessica: If you want it, make me give it to you. Use the Voice.

Paul heaved a long breath. Then, okay. He sighs. Whatever. looks directly at her while mockingly portraying a gruff wizard of some sort...

Paul: Give me the water

Lady Jessica finds this absurd. not responding to him in any way. Okay. She triumphs. After gathering himself, he looks at the glass and says:

Paul: (Intently) Give. Me. The. Water

Nothing happens. He puts his hands up, like... "I tried."

Jessica: The glass can't hear you. Command me.

Her voice carries authority. He is startled out of his hastiness by it. A fresh breath. He averts his gaze. draws from a source inside of himself.

His eyes open, focused on Jessica

Paul: GIVE ME THE WATER

A hundred whispers but just one voice, his words echo through the air as they curl in and around themselves. It is unheard of in human history.