The Champion of Lady Jessica

8000 metres is the altimeter's reading.

The cockpit has been invaded by dust. It lingers in the air and swirls over the deck, heavy with spice. Before his eyes, orange specks are drifting. Jessica coughs in the dust.

Wings are opened by Paul. He must use all of his might. They groan and complain, yet they unfold.

Miles above the ground, the tiny ornithopter emerges from the massive storm. Steering clear of the hurricane and away from the clouds.

Dust has scrubbed the glass bubble of the aircraft to a milky translucence. The wings are crooked and shaking. Dust that was as compressed as concrete clogged the engines.

Currently, the ornithopter is a glider.

Paul notices caution lights multiplying across his instrument panels as systems fail as he descends silently and quickly.

Paul: As soon as we're down, run for the rocks.

As she leans against the top of the fuselage, Jessica nods.

A ornithopter crashes into a sand ridge, causing Paul and Jessica to climb out and run towards the rocks. They hear a deep sand hush and a worm taking the wreck. They reach the rocks and see a large wormsign disappearing into the desert. The sun sets, and heat shimmers off the rocks and dunes. Jessica removes her nightgown, while Paul undresses and they slither into stillsuits.

Paul: Now we have to find Marcus and the Fremen.

Jessica follows Paul as he goes. He gets lost in thinking.

Voice: My dear friend

Paul envisions himself to be seated inside a cave.

He turns to meet James, a tough male Fremen who immediately puts us at ease with his relaxed and kind demeanour.

Jamis now appears to be rather close to Paul.

Jamis: Deep in your heart you know it's not you. You are not the One. Don't take that burden on your shoulders. You are free. I'll show you the ways of the desert. Come with me.

Till the rocky ridge runs out, Paul and Jessica make their way along it while sticking close to cover. They look across a four-kilometer expanse of open desert to a distant rock structure. Paul looks at the compass.

Jessica uses a pair of binoculars to scan the sand.

Jessica: There's greenery over there.

Paul receives the binoculars from her. Cactus and sage are growing tall in the rocks, which he can see through them.

Paul: That has to mean people. We'll cross after dark. Like the Fremen do.

The night sky is dark. Nearly full moons on both occasions cast a blue glow over the desert.

Paul: Remember. Walk without rhythm. Like the Fremen do. Erratic movement.

Paul and Jessica demonstrate sandwalking under moonlight, using their extraordinary bodies to navigate the sand. They leave strange tracks and continue sandwalking without rhythm, avoiding panic. A low hit and a wave of sand crest near them scare them off. However, fatigue makes Paul stumble onto a hardened sand plain, causing his steps to echo like explosions.

Paul: Drum sand!

The worm, which had been heading straight for the thumper, abruptly alters direction and approaches them.

Jessica: Run!

They both run, causing a worm to gain on them. They encounter sand, pea gravel, and rocks, with Paul slipping and Jessica running on without him. The worm surfaces, revealing a half-circle of death ringed with crysknife teeth in the moonlight. Paul stands frozen in front of it, its spice-laden breath washing over him. A distant thumper echoes across the sand, and the giant eyeless beast submerges and quests away. Paul and Jessica watch the worm go, then return to the rock outcrop and climb upward.