The Test

Giedi Prime
Homeward of House Harkonnen.

"Beast" Rabban Harkonnen is a giant raised in Harkonnen savagery, where cruelty is the way of the world. He passes masked guards and terrified slaves like furniture, which is his way of life.

The palace's steam chamber is flooded with white vapour as Rabban arrives. Piter De Vries, a human stiletto with superhuman sharpness who is committed to sadistic behaviour, is outside. Piter motions towards the steam room as Rabban approaches.

Rabban: Milord Baron.

Baron Harkonnen: Rabban.

The steam bath's occupant is Baron Vladimir Harkonnen, 675 pounds of soft, naked flesh. He considers himself beautiful and his movements are sensual. He is mountainous and considers himself beautiful.

Rabban: The last of our ships have left Arrakis. It's done.

Baron Harkonnen: Very good.

Rabban: Uncle. How can we let this happen?

The steam bath is filled with a new blast of steam, which muffles Rabban's question with a loud hiss. Rabban tries once again.

Rabban: How can the Emperor... TAKE EVERYTHING WE'VE BULIT AND GIVE IT TO THAT DUKE!? HOW!?

Piter: Don't be too sure it's an act of love.

Rabban: What does he mean?

Baron Harkonnen: When is gift not a gift? The Atreides voice is rising. And the Emperor is a jealous man...A dangerous, jealous man.

TIME SKIP

In a space of Meditative simplicity, Jessica is seated in meditation with her eyes closed and in perfect alignment. She attempts to slow her breathing and calm her racing heart. Time pauses, there is a crackling like ice, and thunder rumbles above as she discovers silence. She looks up.

Paul lies sleeping. He stirs in his sleep. Eyes darting beneath closed lids.

Jessica: Paul. Wake up.

Jessica stands over her son Paul in a dark room with the moon painting them in channel of light. His eyelids flutter in his dream.

Jessica: Paul

His eyes open. Half-asleep. Confused.

Paul: Mother. What's wrong?

Jessica: Get dressed and come with me.

Paul is wearing a military dress of Atreides nobility, with a green Atreides hawk emblazoned on his jacket.

Paul sees three individuals waiting for him as he moves down a lengthy hallway; they are silhouetted by the light at the end of this dim tunnel.

His mother, brother, and a mysterious individual named Doctor Wellington Yueh who has a diamond tattooed on his forehead.

Paul: What is this?

Marcus: Why are we both here in the middle of the night?

Jessica: The Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam is here. She was my teacher at the Bene Gesserit school. Now she is Truthsayer to the Emperor himself. She would like to meet you both. She wants to know about your dreams, Paul

Marcus: Why does she wish to see me as well?

Jessica: She would not say, but she requested that Paul was to meet her first, before you Marcus

Paul: How does she know about my dreams? Why is Doctor Yueh here?

Jessica: I'll give you a moment.

She steps away a short distance, leaving Paul with Dr. Yueh, who offers his longtime patient a warm smile.