Chapter 1-- Exequies

(Edited)

-------------------------------------

Exequies (noun)

Meaning:  Funeral Rites

-------------------------------------

<??? Point of view>

I look around at the village. It's burnt to a crisp; ash and smoke fill the air.
Near my feet, a small rag doll still burns.

Someone, probably a now-dead someone, owns that doll.

I grunt and kick the doll as far away from me as I can. I don't need to think about the victims of Katara's wrath. There's no use in it. There's no purpose in the past, other than to look over your shoulder and gaze into the eyes of your mistakes and wonder.  

I jerk the black hood of my cloak over my head and squat down.

I do not wish to wonder. 

I press my gloved hand into the ashes, squeeze the earth, and release it into the air. The wind is heading north. Hopefully Katara has gone south, so I can get out of here soon.

Whether Katara had been here or not isn't the question. The crisped village screams for itself. The real question: Where did she go? Katara could be anywhere by now; her trail may be fresh, but she can be fast and stealthy when she wants to be.

Why she did it isn't a question, either.  

The leather cord dangling from my neck feels like a noose, and the pearl attached to it feels heavier than Atlas' sky. It's trapped under my shirt, and it rubs against my skin like a soft claw. 

Sirens wail in the distance. I glare at the ground beneath me and rise to my feet. I need to go before the support arrives (too late, yet to early. How tragically annoying). 

I hear giant wings flap above me, and look up. In this realm, you never really know what's going to happen. Talking snakes, world-eating snakes, four-armed warlords, raspy glowing balls of darkness, clay warriors... and against it all, five boys that act like they're barely broken pubescenty. Ninjas my butt. 

It's none of the above, not that I expect it to be. Most threats are in their infancy right now, afraid to break out ever since the ninja's last stand against evil. 

It's only Aquila, my dragon. Her mighty wings beat down on the air. She lands with a thump beside me. Her scales, each as dark as the deep blue ocean, are sharper than swords, and glisten like a coat of protective armor.

She looks at me with eyes of seafoam blue. I place my hand on her brow, and she lifts her wings up behind her.

We need to go now, young one. Aquila speaks into my mind.

I glance over towards the doll. Yeah. We do.

I clamber onto her back and sit between two of her spinal horns. I hold onto the one in front of me. Ready. 

In a single leap, we launch into the air. She flaps her wings, propelling us forward. I throw my head back as the wind whips my face, making my lips curl up a little bit. The ground is far below us at this point. I gaze at the landmarks as we zoom by, and sigh. There's nothing like flying. 

Aquila lets me enjoy the moment before breaking the news. I caught her scent. Katara's heading east, towards the mountains. ...Are you sure you want to follow her? You have already given so much, young one. No one would blame you.