Chapter 28--- Makebate

________________________________________________________

Makebate (noun)

Meaning: A person who causes contention or discord

_______________________________________________________---

<Kai's POV>

I didn't think dragons could sulk, but we found the sapphire-scaled being on the ledge of a mountain, head lowered and eyes glaring forward, so I guess this one can.

We lower the anchor and shimmy down to the dragon. The dragon closes its eyes and lays its head on its paw.

So this is Aquila.

Cole creeps up, his hand stretching out for its muzzle. The rest of us stay back, ready to leap forward and attack if he needs us.  "Hey... Aquila. It is Aquila, right?"

The dragon opens one eye and huffs. Cole's hand strokes the area between its nostrils.
"We need your help, buddy—-"

There's a rumbling sound reverberating from its chest and throat. Its lips curl into a smile.
Was it laughing?

Dragons can laugh?!

Zane's gears whir. "I sense this is not a normal dragon."

Then I feel this... this presence, probing at the front of my mind. The dragon.

So, Zane, did your own two eyes tell you that or your memory switch?

Zane flings open his control panel in his chest. "I... I have a memory switch. I... forgot about that."

I forgot too, but now that it's in the open, it's coming back. I'm starting to hate this whole situation more and more.

He flips it. "Ah. Yes. I see now."

Of course he gets to remember before the rest of us. Nindroid.

She laughs again, but this time I can hear it in my head too. It's a deep chortle, but not the evil, tummy turning kind— it's not pointed enough for that.

I bet you do. So, has W... Rose's failure finally caught up to her?

I take a step back. "W-What?" I can't speak in my head, that feels too weird. "What do you mean?"

Rose has the roar of a lion but the courage of a mouse. You might be better served leaving her to her misery and finding another White Rose to take her place.

"Prophecies don't work like that. Else Lloyd would've been dropped long ago." I huff. "Just tell restore our memories and tell us where she is."

Her eyes— sharp and slick as sapphires, but slitted like snake's— snap to me.

I am a dragon. My kind defeated the Fays at the height of their power. You have no power to make demands.

What's a Fay?

Cole scurries so that he's between me and the dragon. "Okay, so that's admittedly what we came for— but we really need your help. Even if Rose is a mouse."

Rose is a disloyal coward who will always scamper away from the consequences of her actions---

Man, what did Rose even do?! Kill a bunch of people?!

"You two were close, were you not? What happened?" Zane steps forward. "She admired you greatly."

Aquila's head slumps on the dragon and her head turns away.