Chapter 26--- Euphonious

(Edited)

——————————————————

Euphonious (Adjective)

Meaning: Pleasing; Sweet in sound

——————————————————

I sneak along the hallway. There's a mining cart rail in the center of it. I'm deep underground; I can tell that; but finding the way up through these old mining tunnels is proving difficult. Eventually, if I keep following the mining rails, and keep track of which ones lead where, I should find a way up...

The air is heavy and dusty down here. I cough every so often, and it echoes along the walls. Other than that, there's little sound.

The lighted torches along the walls cast dim, eery glows across the place. Some of the tunnels are still pitch black. When I explore those, I'll have to take a torch with me and just pray there's not a mysterious draft.

This must be where Katara's been hiding for the past twenty years. I see signs of her all over. Some of the walls of large black scorch marks on them. A found a wall back near where I was being kept that had twenty year's worth of tallies on it. Some of the walls are graffitied on with ash. One hallway is even full of poetry about fruitcake.

Not that anyone other than Katara, Jezzie, or me would know that. It's written in Vayla, the language of the Fays. It probably just looks like demented scribbles to any passerby. Not that I think there's a lot of traffic down here.

So far, the only living thing creeping down these halls has been me.

If I don't get out soon, that's bound to change. Katara will come back. Heaven only knows why she left, but I have a few guesses of my own. Namely, she probably thinks I can't find my way out and wants to see me walk around in circles acting like a fool.

Or maybe she wants me to escape--- prey is much more fun alive.

On the off chance, Katara may have just been banking too hard on my degraded powers not working as fast as they used to and me staying knocked out longer. Which she's right about; my healing powers are minuscule and pathetic compared to what they used to be; but not as right as she would need to be for me to stay unconscious that long.

Pathetic or not, I'm still a life elemental. My ability to quickly heal has been one of the few things keeping me going all these years, even if its not as instantaneous or automatic as it used to be.

I finally work my way up to a long hall where I can see the exit. Giant stone Samurai line the place. I slink behind them as I work my way towards the light.

I come out. I'm in a giant crater. I glance around. My eyes land on Katara, whose sitting on the edge of the crater with Jezzie, watching me.

Katara pops up and points to me. "Yes! I told you she'd be out before the hour! Pay up, I'm buying myself fruitcake tonight!"

"Yes, yes, of course." Jezebel huffs and scrambles up, shifting through her pockets. She's glaring at me the entire time.

I didn't think Jezebel would hate me anymore than she did previously, but I think I somehow managed to do it. Lucky me.

I dart back into the caves. There's got to be another way out, hidden or something, anything!

I jump into the hollow Samurai's mouth and hide inside the Samurai statue--- I've got to think of something, think of something, think of something--- wait is that my arma? And my shoes?

I shove my shoes on and grab the sword hilt. Now I can do some damage. Possibly. Assuming Katara wants a fair, honorable fight.

Oh my gosh I just need to get out of here.