Chapter 30-- Dormiveglia

(Edited)

----------------------------------

Dormiveglia (noun) 

Meaning: The space that stretched between sleeping and waking

-------------------------------------

<Rose's POV>

Something smells nice, like... grass and hard candy. It reminds me of market day back in Domajoi. 

I sigh. My head pounds, and every ounce of my skin tingles. I'm slick with my own sweat. My eyes feel too heavy to open. 

My entire body aches. I groan when the warmth around me shifts. 

How long have I been out? 

I roll my shoulders, but even that sends shock waves of pain down my back. I gasp and choke down a whine. My eyes flash open. 

Lloyd's blank eyes stare ahead, but his grip around me is strong, protective, and warm.
I stare at his eyes. He doesn't even look my way. 

Alright, one problem at a time. 

I glance down. 

Iron cuffs. Of course. My long sleeves keep it from touching my skin, but their overall affect is the same. No healing ability.

I huff and glance up at Lloyd again.

Sorry, Greenie. This is my fault. You shouldn't have to deal with my problems. 

I sigh. This is okay. This is manageable. I can get out of this— I can get us both out of this. I just need to think. 

Okay, okay, I can do that. 

I stare at the wall.

I'm not going to be able to get myself out of this one. I can barely move, even if I got out, I wouldn't get far. 

But... Lloyd's here. So long as I can find a way to help him escape Jezzie's control, he might be enough to get out.

I glance at the entranceway to the cave room we're stuck in. 

It won't be long before they're back and I'm out of commission again. It's sheer luck I'm awake and with an able mind now. 

I huff.

I'm getting out of here, with Lloyd, one way or another, and I don't have time for what-if parties.

"Lloyd. Wake up." 

He stares ahead, blank slate as ever. Alright, worth a shot. 

I wiggle in his grip. My back feels like its on fire when I move. I huff and whimper. He doesn't react. 

I need to snap him out of it. Get him— or at least some part of him— back to the surface. The best way to do that is to tap into his natural instincts, which should override his body (and then hopefully his conscious mind, acting like a reboot).

Basically, I need to give him an adrenaline rush.

I manage to get on arm free of his hold. I elbow him in his third and fourth rib. Lloyd startles, blinking down at me. He catches my arm before I can do it again. 

His eyes are still blank, but at least he's looking at me now. 

I twist like a pretzel— oh my it feels like my back just ripped straight open— then nail the balls of my feet into his shoulders.