Chapter II

"Are you alright?" A voice asked.

Lit opened her eyes to find herself in a pavilion.

"Where... where am I?" She said weakly.

"Ah! You alright!" The voice said. "And you speak old language!"

"'Old language'?" Lit echoed quietly.

"What we speak before." The voice said. "Lhoris know language best of village!"

"Your name's Lhoris?" Lit asked, gaining strength.

"Name Lhoris." Lhoris confirmed. "Why come here?"

"Run from bad." Lit said slowly.

"Pid Posl Opo." Kikimora's voice said quietly. "Opo Werpew Quew Ou. Ha Poa As Loapa Pag Collectaar."

"Collectaar?" Lhoris said, and shivered all the way to the ground below.

Kikimora then snorted, and turned her back to the others.

"Your friend no like?" Lhoris asked.

"She's not exactly a-" Lit started.

"Ios Logii." Kikimora interrupted.

"No friends?" Lhoris echoed. Lit could only assume that was what Kikimora had said.

"Yeah. I guess." Lit said, then remembered someone important.

"Where other one?"

"Other elf fine." Lhoris answers. "He with Liojah."

"Who Liojah?" Lit asked, and opened her mouth to say something but stopped as the door to the pavilion opened.

"Ihisalow Logii." A tall man-elf in a green garb said, coming into the pavilion.

"Liojah." Lhoris said, and backed towards the door.

"Oun't Lishapao." Liojah said, turning to look at Lhoris. "Uoa Frisa Logii."

"I no leave den." Lhoris said, bowing.

"Then." Liojah corrected.

I no leave then." Lhoris said.

"I see you made friends with Lhoris." Liojah said.

"Mihangyl," Lit said, "is he okay?"

"The boy-elf is fine." Liojah said. "He is eating now. He says that you run from Liikin?"

"The emperor." Lit said.

"Liikin means emperor." Liojah explained. "Like Opo means bad in your tongue."

"Opo." Lit echoed.

"Your friend seems as if she wants a stab in the back." Liojah said, and glanced at Kikimora.

"Her 'friend' doesn't want anything to do with you all." Kikimora snapped.

"You still do not see." Liojah sighed. "The emperor never-"

"Enough!" Kikimora snarled, standing up quickly. She winced, and glanced at her arm. "I am still the emperor's assistant. This is only a test of my loyalty. A trial."

"A trial of what loyalty?" Lit asked.

"You wouldn't understand." Kikimora snarled.

"Are you sure about that?" Liojah asked.

Kikimora went silent.

"You came here last time on the... peace conference," Liojah said, "and how were you treated then?"