Chapter VI

"You were alive when Magic was allowed?" Lit said in awe.

"It was only twenty years ago," Kikimora said defensively.

"Still... twenty years?" Mihangyl said in awe. "You don't even look that old."

"I'm not sure whether to take that as a compliment," Kikimora snarled, "or an insult."

"Compliment," Mihangyl said quickly.

Kikimore growled, then sat down in the corner with her back to the others. Well, that went well.

"You guys know what we do now?" Lit asked.

"Stay here for eternity?" Kikimora snapped. "'Cause, yeah, that sounds amazing. I can't wait to rot here."

"Alright, Kikimora," Lit snapped. "You stop that attitude right here and now."

Kikimora huffed, but went silent.

"Now," Lit said, "what are we actually going to do?"

"Stay away from the Emperor?" Mihangyl volunteered.

"That's an obvi," Kikimora said, casting a glance over her shoulder.

"You that know, though?" Lhoris said.

"Of course!" Kikimora yelled as Lit opened her mouth to answer. "For Zrak's breath, can none of you see the OBVIOUS!"

"What Kikimora means to say," Lit said with a glare at Kikimora, "is that we can all agree to stay away from the Emperor."

"Gosh," Kikimora scorned, "you sound like my mother."

At the mention of mothers, Lit felt a tear slip down her check. I never even said goodbye.

"Kiki!" Mihangyl hissed, then hugged Lit tight. "We'll see her again, Lit. I know we will."

"How can you be so sure?" Lit murmured.

"I'm not sure." Mihangyl's voice wavered. "But what I am sure of, is that I will stick by your side for as long as Zrak circles this planet."

"And if he stops circling Athia?" Kikimora challenged. "What'll you do then?"

"KIKIMORA!" Mihangyl shouted. "Are you PHYSICALLY CAPABLE of being NICE? Or CARING? Do any of those words mean anything to you?"

"Does anything about 'When the planets connect, the Magix will protect. When Evil rises to power, the Good will prevail in the final hour' mean something to you?" Kikimora snapped.

"What does that have to do with anything?" Mihangyl shot back.

"Watch your words, moon-elf," Kikimora snarled. "I've been warned that they'll be your downfall."

"No one will be 'downfalling' today," Liojah said as he came into the healer's pavilion. A small frown crossed his face when he saw Lhoris there, but it disappeared as quick as it came.

Lit looked around; it seemed no one else noticed Liojah's frown except Kikimora. The former assistant was watching Liojah with slitted eyes. But then again, knowing Kikimora, Kikimora might just be annoyed with everyone now. I wonder why she got so prickly and defensive when we mentioned her knowing magic?

Lit wanted to ask the elfstriss, but she knew she couldn't without getting a snappy reply.

"Whose idea was it to mention 'downfalls' anyway?" Liojah continued.

"That would be me." Kikimora snarled.

Liojah frowned at the elfstriss. "What is with you, Kikimora? Before it seemed as if I was getting through to you. Now, it seems that you have completely forgotten we ever felt anything."