The Man and The Boy

Cassandra POV:

The atmosphere was elegant and sexy. Deep velvet reds and silver flowed throughout the room and as the exotic performers arrived I checked off each task I had in store for them. I have never seen so many almost naked people; I wonder if they ever get cold.

As the guest arrived I took liberty to go watch each one enter from our security cameras. Unlike more prestigious events, these guest had their faces shown. Well, most of them. My father would always mention gathering as exotic as these, but I never knew that so many people participated in such a lifestyle. What human would want to be beneath another?

After all the guests arrived and Kai entered the room, I decided it was time for me to join the congregation. I glanced down real quick at my cheat sheet for the guests and who they are.

At first, everyone did not notice me until a security guard announced my arrival when I was at the middle of the stairs. Then some people turned and looked down at the floor, others raised a glass, and then some stared directly into my soul with disdain.

I could not describe the intensity of the atmosphere if I tired, but the best I could do was smile and wave a polite hand toward the crowd. In moments everyone averted their eyes and were to their own desires. They watched, drank, gambled, and cursed beneath their breath.

   I made my way to Kai's side which was either the safest or most dangerous place to be in the room. I noticed people with lower colors keep their heads down and help with tasks from others while so many red focused their gaze on me. One man in particular would not stop staring at me and whenever I looked around the room his eyes were already locked on mine until I would gaze away.

   "It seems you've made quite the impression on Master Dominic. You must have a poor hand in life to be between him and Mistress Kai." A smaller boy mumbled to me beneath his breath.

   "Pardon me? Who are you little one?" I kept looking forward and grabbed a drink from the staff.

  "I am like you, undecided. My mother died and I was left to Master Dominic's command. He will either train me to be like my mother or mold me to be like him."

   "Well, you're not the happiest kid... what type of life is this for a kid anyways? How old are?"

   "Well, I wasn't born to be a normal kid, but I am seven. I am just really small for my age."

   "So what does a seven year old do at a place like this under your dad?"

   "He's not my dad! I don't know what life is like, but if I do good I have a chance for greatness. At least, that's what my momma told me."

Before I could inquire anymore about this child the man called Dominic hollered for the boy. A kid should not be at this type of party. I was about to say something until Kai grabbed my arm and shook her head at me to not engage. I would've listened to her, but the man hit the boy for not being quick enough. The boy fell to the floor gasping for air and then I could see Dominic quietly yelling at him to toughen up.

   "Do not touch him." I shouted from across the room.

    "Little girl. Do not talk to me like you're my equal. You are beneath us all!" Dominic yelled at me and threw the boy against the floor.

   I walked up to him. "I said, do not touch him."

   The room was silent, "oh and what is miss unclaimed going to do? You think you can waltz in here and throw a party to not even have a color. At the very least, you could lie to us, but here you are thinking you have rights above the order. I will show you-"

   "You will show her what?" Kai voice echoed, "we invited you into our home for acknowledgement of my new arrangement. She doesn't have a color yet, but when I'm time she will be stronger than a worthless man who brings a child to something so sensitive. I could have you killed with one glance for the amount of disrespect you've shown us because right now she's an extension of me. Not by our standards, but through association since she is better than blood because she is claimed as my wife, so tell me Dom is this a cry for help? Do you need me to end your life?"

"No. Just tell her to mind her own business this boy is equally mine then as she is yours. That is all I was saying."

   "Good, now that is all cleared up, we may continue."

   "No." I said.

   Kai snapped her head at me, "No?"

   "I want the boy."

   "You can't have my boy, puppet." Dominic sneered.

   Kai looked at me up and down, "do you really want the child?"

  "Please," was all I could whisper as I bowed my head.

   She turned to Dominic and grabbed a bottle of scotch from the car. "Dom. I hate fighting with you. I really respect you and you are one of the better trainers. Let's leave these children to play and have fun while we go enjoy ours a nice bottle of Glenfarclas 60 Year Old Distillery Highland Single Malt Scotch."

   I could see Dominic relax with Kai's demeanor as he waved the boy off and the party continued without disruption."