at the end of the earth

Dorlene
summer 1977
marlene's POV
music festival

Salt air, and the rust on your door
I never needed anything more.
Whispers of "are you sure."
-August, Taylor Swift

Dorcas had been her favourite friend lately.

'Best friend' wasn't really the right word and it also kind of felt like she was being unfair to Lily and Mary so, favourite friend it is.

Marlene and Dorcas had been hanging out way more than they ever did before, all that for some stupid reason that would take way too long to explain, (including a roadtrip —travel to the other side of the globe— completely failing since almost everyone wasn't able to make it, some terrible accident happening with James' favourite garden gnome and anyways, it's all very complicated.)

But she wasn't complaining.

They were on this small peninsula on the very edge of Canada, for some reason.
The sea seemed like it was everywhere, everyone spoke some foreign language (Dorcas told her it was french, Marlene laughed) and you could see the stars at night.

Everything was so different from home there, everyone was so nice and smiling, all very polite and kind. The ambiance felt like the air itself was always about to erupt into confettis and fireworks. They later found out that the reason for that was that a music festival was being organized.

They were resting on a beach, the sand was soft and golden, littered with small colourful rocks. Dorcas' hands were going through it, collecting some pieces of woods and dried seaweed that she then proceeded to place into Marlene's pale hair.

Marlene was laying down on her back on a blanket that they had placed on the ground, her head on the dark girl's thigh with soft fingers going through her scalp, as Dorcas decorated her head.

Some faint music was playing in the background, coming from the festival, a little further up the hill behind them.

Marlene was pretending to be asleep, her eyes closed and her head turned towards the sea. She felt as if Dorcas realized she wasn't in the unconscious state she thought she was in, she'd stop being so..
Soft?

The thing is, Dorcas isn't 'soft'.
She's strong, powerful, confident.
Although very kind, yes, and very concerned about the ones she holds in her heart, she would never do anything that could make anyone see her as weaker than she is.

And so the small touches that she reserved only for Marlene, when she thought she was passed out or wouldn't realize, they meant so much.

Marlene wasn't stupid.

She knew the way she felt for Dorcas, the way her fingers could make a thousand butterflies erupt in her stomach, her face heat up, shivers grow on the back of her neck. She wasn't denying it.

But she knew the way the other girl was about.. all that. And so she just pushed it away.

"Marls..?"
Dorcas shook her shoulder lightly. Marlene let out a small grunt, turning her face to hide it in the blanket.

"Oh come on- Marlene. Don't make me."
Dorcas said, with an almost warning tone.

At this, Marlene's head shots up, looking alert.