Chapter 2- Perilous Great Journey

Slip-space

Epsilon Eridani System

Fleet of Valiant Prudence

Ninth Age of Reclamation

Unknown Date and Time

"When we joined the Covenant, we took an Oath. This Oath we made in faith and blood. On the blood of our fathers, on the blood of our sons. Much like many of the species in our Covenant, humanity has endured the full might of our armies, suffering extreme losses to our larger fleets and superior technology only to continue being persecuted without trial. The Hierarchs have no desire to repent for the sins they've so cleverly kept from us, simply wishing to hide their follies and pray we do not see their weakness. Humanity, scorned as heretics for their mere presence  and now, I am a Heretic all the same as them for merely questioning why they had not been offered a place at our side and advocating for peace. I plan to join them in their struggle against our corrupt Covenant in the hopes that we may find peace through comradery. Perhaps it will be enough to atone for our sins against them. Those who would join me are to gather what supplies you can and we will do our best to make contact with humanity in secrecy. Take heed, any who choose to walk the path I now follow will be Heretics themselves. I cannot guarantee your safety, only your honor."

Several Sangheili, Unggoy, and Kig-Yar cheered at the speech. It seemed the Sangheili giving said speech was held in high regard by those present. Joka 'Morumai was nothing if not a well-spoken and experienced leader. As a Sangheili Field Marshal, he had the utmost authority on the battlefield. Several times 'Morumai was considered for promotion to Shipmaster, though someone more qualified for the position always seemed to appear.

 Several times 'Morumai was considered for promotion to Shipmaster, though someone more qualified for the position always seemed to appear

(There really isn't a way to get a good shot of any of the Elites in a cutscene or otherwise fitting backdrop, sorry)

"Field Marshal-" a Special Operations Sangheili approached, only for Joka to cut him off.

"I am Field Marshal no longer. Joka will do," the ex-Field Marshal said before gesturing for his former subordinate to continue.

"I understand the need for discretion, but how do you plan to secure transport for so many? There are over two hundred here and several Phantoms would be noticed disappearing, which will also be required for deploying ground troops if we are to aid the Humans," the Spec-Ops cautioned.

"It will be a difficult task. My plan is to commandeer a Ceudar-pattern heavy corvette. Hiding here aboard the Long Night of Solace was harder than anticipated, so there is no reason to think capturing a Corvette will be any different if not even more difficult. Seeing as how we are nearing the human planet Reach, mobilizing without cloaking will limit our ability to operate." The Sangheili nodded, kneeling.

"Then I, N'thala of house 'Dravum, will assist you. However, I must do so from here. I will relay any information I can to you. Perhaps it will aid you in remaining undetected by both the humans and the Long Night of Solace until you deem it right." Joka nodded and returned to those who had remained loyal to his command. Nearly all of them had scattered, gathering rations, methane tanks, weapons, energy packs, ammunition, and a select few had been looking to gather intelligence to use in choosing a Corvette to commandeer.

Perhaps there was a chance for most of them surviving. A Corvette was chosen due to their capacity and slip-space capability. It also was chosen due to it being far more likely to be left alone due to more important targets such as the Long Night of Solace itself and the coming Covenant fleet. The knowledge of the human presence had been known for some time now and the window of escape was closing rapidly as forces were being moved around. The legion was preparing for war.

Several hours passed, Joka providing a guiding hand where possible. A corvette was selected and it was time to make the move. Upon investigation, it was the least observed and therefore the most difficult to sneak out. Still, difficulty did not equate to impossibility. The biggest risk was being discovered early and executed.

'No, now is not the time for hesitation or reflection. We must push through these trials if we are to survive,' he thought.

'This shall be the beginning of the Era of Forgiveness. I pray to the gods the Humans are willing to consider it.'

Seeing as how this chapter, and others like it until the this new force join together, is merely a peek into what is happening on the Covenant side of things (like Halo 2's campaign) and what I plan to do with this book, I'm keeping these chapters short. Hopefully they can be longer as the story goes on as I will be making them few and far between since it's easier to focus on the human side, even if I'm changing how events are worded and some dialog.