Chapter 3- Winter Contingency: Noble Team

"Listen up Noble Team. We're looking at a downed relay outpost fifty clicks from Visegrad. We're gonna introduce ourselves to whoever took it out and then Kat's gonna get it back online." Noble Team flew along the cliffside a few kilometers from their target. Noble Six simply sat back and listened. His idea was to get a feel for the team and their connections before trying to really integrate himself. It'd make it less messy.

"Just get me under the hood, Commander." Seemed to Six like Noble Two and One had a close relationship. Probably been deployed together for a while, maybe most of their carriers. The Spartan II's were like that as well, all tight knit and closed off from most other squads and battalions. Six briefly remembered his stint with 141. She was a silent and brutal combatant for most of their mission. It wasn't until he saved her life that she opened up and a small part of him hoped she would survive the war. Another part of him just wanted the war to end.

"Sir, why would rebels want to cut off Reach from the rest of the colonies?" One may be the boss, but Five is a living, breathing death threat. Maybe stay out of his way. Also the only Spartan II on Noble Team. He already seemed rather friendly with Six, oddly enough.

"If you get a chance, maybe you can ask 'em Jorge."

"Sir we just lost our connection with HQ." That made Six a little antsy. Lost connection? He'd heard that before. But only on... specific missions.

"Backup channels?" One asked.

"Searching... nada. Can't say what's jamming us."

"damn..." Six whispered, pulling the charging handle back on his MA37 just enough to see the brass casing of the 7.62 millimeter round, ready to put a hole in whatever dare oppose Noble Team. Checking the chamber was a compulsory act, brought on by months behind both Innie and Covenant lines. One took notice but made no comment on it just yet.

"You heard her, dead zone confirmed. Command will not be keeping us company this trip."

"I'm lonely already." Four was definitely hotheaded and volatile.

'This whole mission just got a whole lot more complicated,' Noble Six thought. As they flew into a particular mountain valley, the building below them blew out black smoke. Meaning it was one of three options: burning rubber, plastic, or petroleum. Odd...

"Shoot down attempts are likely so keep your distance," One ordered.

"Yes sir," the pilot was quick to reply.

"There's the communication outpost," Five said, the massive dish lighting up on Six's HUD.

"Picking up a distress beacon." Two added a marker in an open spot between the buildings they now hovered over.

"Could be the missing troopers. Let's check it out. Pilot, put us down on the bluff."

The Falcon circled for a landing and Six took a deep breath to steady himself. There wasn't any evidence to make judgements yet, but he was having a bad feeling about this particular assignment.

"Jun, I want your eyes in the sky," One ordered, Six briefly turning to the sniper.

"Sir." Three complied as the Falcons landed side by side, and Noble Team jumped down.

"Let's go, Six."

Noble Six exited the Falcon and took notice of who was on the ground with him. Three and Five remained in their respective Falcons to provide overhead support while Four, Two, and One were in the immediate fireteam.

"Alright, Noble Team. Spread out. Watch the approach."

Six followed Noble Team down the hillside, silent like the wind. By comparison, the rest of Noble Team was uncomfortably noisy for Six. The CQC expert swiftly positioned himself on the top of a boulder and checked the surrounding area.