44 || Dinner Party

The Neighbourhood - Devils Advocate

𝔚𝔚𝔚
Celina

They came today.

They drank from my gold porcelain. They ate the fine foods my country had to offer. They sat with my daughter, held my granddaughter.

Yet, they still turned around and laughed with my enemy.

They took my hospitality for weakness and put a target on my back.

His wife was quiet, he was known to be dangerous. Yet a single afternoon with the couple made me realize that she was the one to be weary of.

She hid her danger. Held it in her tightly clutched palm and concealed it in her white smile.

I need to be weary of her. You should too.

Leather slams, fingers tighten and my lips press together in an attempt to push back the frustrated scream. I manage to suppress the scream, but it doesn't stop me from chucking the journal in my hand at the wall.

I fucking hate cliffhangers, and Jido's cryptic final journal entry, the only one that gave me an ounce of juicy information, is the biggest fucking tease of the century.

I pace back and forth.

I need to find the others.

If not for the fact that they belong to me, then for the fact that my curiosity wont be satisfied until I do.

Yet despite my frustration, a twinge of regret forces me to walk across the ancient pastel carpet, pick up the journal and dust it off, before hiding the palm sized booklet back behind the very painting that covered the hidden passageway into the room in the tower.

I rarely came back to this room. Not only was the door always locked, but the dolls that once took up every inch of the room were back, only now it seemed as though someone went out of their way to hang more shelves to display them.

I'm milliseconds from moving the painting back into its place when the closet doors fly open, and a rush of blonde hair emerges from the darkness, barrelling towards me, at full force, a war cry escaping the mouth of it.

I step out of the way, and as my luck would have it, the bull like ball of blonde hair doesn't realize until she's slamming into the wall and falling onto the ground.

I laugh, she hisses.

"How did you get into my bedroom!?" The failed exorcism of a girl groans while I glance around the room, making sense of its state. She thinks it's hers now. "The door is locked from the inside!"

While true, I dont choose to tell her about the hidden door behind the painting and instead settle on delusion. "Magic."

She sits up and looks over at me, her shoulders relaxing and gives me an ernest nod, as though it makes complete sense. "Oh,"

Instead of walking out the door, I decide to walk over to the wall of new floating shelves and linger, having missed not being the craziest in the room. "Who hung these for you?" The sight of her, rubbing the bruise forming on her forehead brings a smile to my face. "Was it your little boyfriend?"