You Promised

Tara held her sister tightly as the older Carpenter sobbed into her shoulder uncontrollably. Seeing Sam so heartbroken pained Tara, and all the younger girl could do was wish that she could take her sister's pain away.

She had a mix of emotions running through her after what she had just heard. Richie Kirsch just up and left Sam after being with her for the last two and a half years. And for what? For some bitch he met at the club just a few weeks ago when him, Sam and a few of their friends went out.

Sam found out from him himself when she walked into the apartment she was living with him in. From a note, too. Luckily the Modesto apartment wasn't under her name for the lease, but it was pretty shitty.

~flashback~

The raven haired woman opened the door into her apartment and stepped in, sighing in exhaust after a long day at work. It's been one hell of a day for her and she was just glad to be back home and get the chance to finally rest.

"Richie, I'm home!" The twenty four year old called out, not hearing anything back in response. She set her keys down on the table near the front door and hung her jacket on the coat rack, furrowing her brows from the silence.

"Richie?" She called out again, walking further inside the apartment. Once again, she heard nothing in response.

Strange. Richie always replied back to Sam when she'd get home from work. He would even stop what he was doing previously and would greet her with a loving kiss and hug.

Yet now there was nothing coming from him. Not a 'hey baby' or the sound of his footsteps behind her, ready to wrap his arms around the girl's waist. This was very unlike him, and the twenty four year old felt concerned and confused.

It's not like he wouldn't be home either. His gym session would've been done an hour and a half ago, and any work related shit would've been done at home. Being a computer engineer, he often worked from home anyway.

"Richie, are you home?" Sam said, stepping into the kitchen. She looked around and saw a note on the table. Hm, weird.

Slowly, the young woman stepped forward, carefully picking up the note and bringing it up to her face so she could read it.

Sam,

I know this is probably not the best way of finding out the truth, but it had to be said and I couldn't find any other way of telling you this. Saying it to your face would've been too much. I've thought about this before and I know for a fact I wouldn't be able to look at your face as the words would leave my mouth. I'm not in love with you anymore. I found someone else, and you probably remember her. It's Amanda, the girl we met at the club four weeks ago, and whose party we went to the following night. Ever since that night I knew I was interested in her, and we'd been talking. She's really nice and I like her, a lot. I'm really sorry it turned out this way, but I can't help who I'm attracted to. And I'm sorry, but I'm gonna need you to move out of the apartment as soon as you can, too. The lease is ending soon, and I've already found a new place to live in. Take care of yourself, Sam.

Richie

Tears were streaming down her face as she read the note. She couldn't believe this. Two and a half years and he walks out? And after everything they've been through?

She couldn't understand how he could do this to her. He knew what she's been through, too. He knew that the woman didn't feel loved growing up, not by her mother and step father, and certainly not by her biological father.

He knew she took every drug she could lay hands on and was high almost every day in Sophomore-Junior year of high school, trying to numb the pain she felt everyday. He knew she was in shitty relationships up until she met Richie, and he still did that to her?