Chapter 4

After the fire was put out on Astana's farm, Khan and Tahel went to the Gallardi residence. Once they arrived, they went straight to the family patriarch's office and saw Enzy waiting on the couch.

The room was dark, and the air was heavy with the scent of alcohol. A bottle of expensive-looking Scotch sat on the table beside two used glasses and a bucket of ice, which had started to melt and drip onto the wooden surface.

"How did the investigation go?" Enzy asked Khan, who sat across from him. He looked at Tahel, who sat beside him and rubbed his back to comfort him. "I'm sorry about what happened. How are you feeling?"

Tahel looked at him, the little light from the window shedding light on his small smile. "Thanks. I'm okay. It is what it is," he said, but his face betrayed a sense of unease.

"The fire chief said that the arsonists poured gasoline in the area after knocking up the caretakers using knock-out gas. Since the snow has started to melt, they were able to burn a large area in such a short time," Khan replied, to which Enzy nodded. "There were dried hays found on the grasses and we suspect they used it to start the fire. This must be the Florescu family's doing. I'm sure of it."

"I think so, too," Enzy agreed with arms crossed and his back leaned over the couch. He clicked his tongue. "We paid a high price just by saving lives."

Khan let out a heavy sigh. The Florescu family's bold attacks showed no signs of intimidation. The recent arson and security breaches were clear warnings to back off and not meddle in their business.

"We sure did," Khan murmured.

Suddenly, the sound of a cane tapping on the floor interrupted their thoughts. They turned to see Eustace, the patriarch of the Gallardi family, accompanied by Najak and Pierre, coming out from the inner office. Although their faces were unclear in the dark, they could tell them apart by feeling their auras.

Khan, Enzy, and Tahel rose to their feet; heads bowed respectfully.

"I had no idea the young Masters were here," Eustace said, his eyes resting on Tahel. "Please let us know if there's anything we can do to help."

Tahel was taken aback by the offer, considering their recent losses. He bowed gratefully to Eustace.

Eustace turned to Khan and Enzy, giving them a warm smile. "Well then, as much as I would love to stay and chat, I'm afraid I must retire to my room now. My old bones need some rest," he said with a chuckle.

Tahel nodded in understanding, with Enzy by his side, and replied, "Of course, uncle. Please rest well."

"Young head, this old man is taking his leave now," Eustace said, addressing Khan.

"Yes, uncle. Good night," Khan replied, lowering his gaze in respect of the elder.

"I'll go ahead now, too," Pierre said, gazing at Tahel, and he tapped his shoulder. "Toughen up, young Astana," he gave a nod to Khan and Enzy and then strolled out of the room.

They all settled on the sofa, and a little later, Najak returned to the room and slumped onto the single couch. He puffed his cheeks and blew out a frustrated breath, his eyes fixed on the ceiling.

Khan looked over at Najak, sensing his exasperation from where he sat. Out of the four of them, Najak was known for his easygoing attitude, so seeing him upset was unusual.

The silence stretched on for a minute before Khan decided to break it. "I can lend -"

Najak sighed aloud. "Now, I can't build my dream house and yacht in the south," he cut him off as he sat straight. "I need to reinvest the money I earned that I deposited in BlackDiamond Bank."