Prologue

Lily Evans and Remus Lupin made their way back to the Gryffindor Common Room after hours studying in the Library. As they walked through the dimly lit corridors, the two friends talked in soft tones, careful not to draw attention to themselves.

"Have you put any thought into who you are going to take to Hogsmeade this weekend?" Lily asked, her arms wrapped tightly around her books. Her red hair was secured in a bun with her wand.

"What's so bad about going on my own?" Remus laughed, his sandy hair falling into his eyes.

"Oh, nothing except missed opportunities," Lily remarked, a twinkle in her green eyes. "I think you should just ask him."

"I haven't the foggiest who are you talking about," Remus said quickly, a pink flush coating his cheeks.

Lily huffed and rolled her eyes. She hated being the only one that noticed the looks shared between Remus and Sirius. She bloody new Potter hadn't picked up on it.

Sirius Black and James Potter. Now those two were peas in a pod. Never one without the other, practically attached at the hip. If one of them new something, the other did.

As for how Remus played into it, the three of them (and their other friend Peter) were inseparable since first year. Lily, being friends with Remus just as long, noticed the shift in his dynamic with Sirius in fourth year. It wasn't so much a shift in dynamic as a shift in how Remus recounted memories with him, and how he talked about them.

"You're insufferable sometimes," she scoffed.

The sound of footsteps were heard behind them. Remus and Lily turned around sharply, both pulling their wands out. As Lily did so, her red hair tumbled down her back.

Yet, when they did so, there was no one there.

"James and Sirius," Remus said lowly. "Cut it out. I am way too tired to deal with this right now."

Remus was tired. Not just because it was among the later hours of the night, but also because the full moon was in a couple days. As it got closer, Remus got more tired and sick.

"Awe, but where's the fun in that, Moony," Sirius Black teased, but stepping out from seemingly nowhere nonetheless. His black hair was curled to perfection and his silver eyes were lit with amusement. "Hullo, Lily Flower."

That was all that needed to be said for a second boy to appear. He had a mop of unruly raven hair and hazel eyes hidden behind square glasses. A trouble maker smirk danced across his tanned face.

"Wotcher, Evans," he grinned. He was easily taller than her.

"Potter," she regarded, too tired to play their normal game.

"What are you two up to," Remus asked, narrowing his eyes.

"We were in the library-," Sirius answered smoothly.

"You told me you were allergic to that place yesterday," Remus rolled his eyes as the four of them walked together.

"It's a miracle, Moony!" Sirius exclaimed. "Poppy cured me!"

"Oh, Black," Lily intervened, rolling her eyes. "We were just there. It's a shame we didn't see you there."

Sirius draped an arm around her and grinned. As he did so, something slipped from his jacket pocket, and shatter across the floor. The four teenagers were later engulfed in a cloud of gold dust.