A New Time

When the dust had finally disappeared, the four teens were a jumble of limbs. When they finally got ahold of themselves and stood, Lily picked up the remains of a golden necklace.

"Why the bloody hell do you have this!" she demanded in low voice turning to Sirius.

"I snatched it from my mother before my return," he said uneasily. "Prongs and I were curious what it was so we were trying to figure it out."

"This is bloody time turner, Sirius!" Remus roared quietly, not wanting to draw attention to himself. "Bloody hell! We are probably in a different time."

"I doubt that," James scoffed naively. "It didn't work earlier. It probably just broke."

Lily took a deep breath before speaking, trying to keep herself from losing it on this arrogant toe rag. "It is a magical object. Just because it is broken doesn't mean that it doesn't have magical properties still."

Before James could retort, the four were silenced by voices.

"Nothing out of the ordinary tonight, Minnie," a girl's voice filtered through their ears.

"And have you done anything?" the familiar voice of Minerva McGongall was heard. "Will any students fall victim to your shenanigans?"

"Now, now, Minnie," the girl laughed, as they came into view of the four teens, who were thankful for James's cloak and the darkness. "I can't tell you that. And if it does happen, what'd reckon? I wouldn't multitask at my unofficial job?"

The girl was beautiful to say the least. Her caramel hair fell past her shoulders in beach waves and her amber eyes shone with mischief. She wore a black leather jacket and what looked like a worn green sweater that looked to belong to her father.

"I suppose not," the ever stern McGonagall smiled slightly before turning stern. "I don't like how much responsibility is being forced upon you."

"Neither do my dads," the girl said solemnly. "But I can assure you that I can handle it. Besides, need I remind you that I did offer to do it?"

"Nova," the elder woman said sternly. "You are fifteen! You should not be doing what the adults around you are supposed to be doing."

"Like Harry trusts any adults right now," Nova retorted. "Unless your Snuffles, then you won't hear his opinion about the weather. Not to mention, with everything that happened last year, he isn't inclined to trust anyone beyond me, Ron, and Hermione. And I refuse to allow them to do any of this until it is absolutely necessary. None of this would've happened if I hadn't been so weak-"

"Don't you dare call yourself that," McGonagall said fiercely.

The four time travelers all shared a glance. It wasn't unknown that their professor cared for her students, but it was rare for her to express it.

"You are merely just a girl," she reminded. "An extremely talented girl, but a girl nonetheless. Until recently, you weren't trained to beat him. You weren't trained to fight him or any of his cronies."

"Perhaps," Nova shrugged before looking at an imaginary watch on her wrist. "I best be off, Minnie. Hermione would notice my absence then tell Ron and Harry. I'd rather not have them parading around the castle."

"Goodnight, Miss Lupin-Black," McGonagall said with a soft smile. "Keep your head up."

"'Night, Minnie!"

The moment the girl was gone, James and Lily turned to Remus and Sirius. Lily's face held the biggest smirk known to man.

"Lupin-Black, eh?" James raised his eyebrows.