FOURTEEN. let there be hope

014.

Before..

"FAITH!" The mad woman screamed along with her other cries. 

Jungwon has recently become a year older than he used to be and now he's put in a room with the queen and some crazy lady who deems herself as a messenger of the universe.

"To faith is where the gods tell us to rely." 

There on her podium lied a prophecy that was freshly carved into the stone in a matter of seconds. How? Jungwon wouldn't know.

The darkness of the claustophobic room and the loud rain banging on the weak roof should've been viewed as intimidating but the boy was just confused.

Confused why they're relying on this woman and confused why the queen showed up to his door three days earlier to collect him. 

He was always protected by the royal family but only financially and in boosting his reputation.  The only room in the palace he ever visited was the meeting room until three days ago when he was given a room to sleep in.

"Um... yes we know that we need faith in our prayers but we're asking her name, Pandora." The queen asserted, interrupting Jungwon's thoughts. 

"You will come across Faith." 

The young archer swore he was about to quit if Pandora speaks in riddles once more. 

"Your majesty, a word?" Jungwon muttered.

The queen agreed and stepped as far away as they could be from Pandora. 

Jungwon leaned closer, "I'm still in the dark about my purpose in here and all you are showing me is a kookoo bird screaming in our faces." 

He hesitated. He didn't know if he could continue if Queen Aecha continued to stare at him with displease. Her eyes were the real intimidation of the situation he was in.

"Respectfully, what is this about? And why have you taken me in? I appreciate your hospitality and for letting me stay in such luxurious chambers but I'm still unsure of why I'm here. I'm also unsure why you have introduced me to Pandora who is...." he trailed off.

"Her title is far too complicated for me to explain to you, Little Archer." 

Little Archer, that's what she always called him. Not in an endearing way, she always said it in such a stern and heartless tone. He's the archer, one of the greatest despite being only eighteen. He has been showed off to in front of the king and queen when he was only seven, when he shot a piece of cheese that was strapped on a hyperactive mouse. She's known him since he was a child, which might explain why she still calls him little. That might have become the only thing she saw when it came to him.

"Your majesty, at least tell me why you've took me in, I plead."

She opened her mouth to speak yet no words came out. She stayed still, contemplating, scaring Jungwon further. She's known to be a no-nonsense woman, the symbol of power and yet here she is questioning herself if she should tell him. 

She took a big sigh. 

"You have the heart of a leader." she paused again, then continued, "And I know how you are, determined yet still full of pure childlike joy." 

The boy's expression showed no change but his head was swirling with questions once more. "Which is why I chose you for this assignment. You are to lead five other young men to hunt for the cure."