08. mouthbreather

The siblings slept out there in the woods, didn't go back to Mike's. Ten had woken up first, the sun was shining through his eyes as he slowly sat up. He looked to his side and frowned at El shivering as she slept. Ten took off the jacket Mike had given him and carefully put it over the girl, trying not to bother her in her sleep.

It was cold, the sun barely doing anything to heat Ten up, but he walked it off and went over to a lake that the pair walked past while trying to find a place to sleep.

He sat at the edge and wrapped his arms around himself as he watched on while a bunch of little frogs jumped around in the water. It was kind of nice, he thought the way the little things jumped around was funny.

He was with himself and his own thoughts for a while, basking in the morning sun and the soft testing of birds in the sky. A bundle of leaves rustled behind him. Ten looked back as El came to sit next to him, a pinch in her brows, "Cold" she handed the grey jacket back out to him, he flashed a small smile and took it off of her to put back on. Sighed with the little warmth it provided him.

Ten's eyes followed El's movements as she took out the wig that was stuffed in her pocket. She frowned at it, put it back on her head. Sadness filled her eyes as she looked down to her own reflection in the murky water.

A small grunt and Wl flung the wig to the side. Ten carefully looked between his sister and the wig before moving softly to pick it up, putting it in his own pocket. When he looked back at Eleven, she was fiercely looking down to the water, features hardened into a scowl, before letting out a loud scream and using her powers to send the water rippling.

Ten put a hand on top of hers, gaining her attention again. She shook her head at his questioning eyes and looked back to the water, "Not... pretty" it was hardly a whisper but Ten heard it, and hated that she even thought that.

She glanced back through her tears as he got and pulled out the wig. Ten rubbed the hair between his fingers. He looked at El before throwing the wig as far as he could into the water. El perked up and watched the material sink down, looking to her brother as he sat down in front of her again, "Don't need it" he stated firmly and took her face into his hands with a smile, "Pretty. Always pretty"

He dropped one hand and that scowl painted her features again faintly when Ten turned her head to look in her reflection, but it melted away as she saw the smile on his face, "Look, pretty" he said truthfully, "We... same" and took one of her hands to touch his own buzzed head.

Her smile was bright, Ten always thought, and it always got him to smile back. She took a moment to glance back at both of their reflections and nodded, silently agreeing with him.

☆彡📻----📰ミ☆

They didn't stay out there for much longer, El led Ten to follow her until they reached the road again, and they walked until they came across a large store with lots of people buzzing around.

A nice song was playing over the speakers as they walked in and Ten started bobbing his head softly to the nice tune. He also became very aware of all the weird looks people were sending him and El.

Ten frowned as they walked around, all the people watching him, keeping an eye on his every move. It reminded him too much of the peering eyes of the lab.

He felt a tug at his hand where him and El were connected and looked back to check on her, she was stood still and Ten furrowed his brows. "Are you lost?" the boy looked behind El, eyes catching on a man, "Is your mom here?" Ten didn't answer him, unsure eyes staring at the man, "Your dad?"

"No" he said and felt El tug at his hand, this time she was starting to walk away but took another glance to the man.

"Mouth breather"

His brows rose with concern as the pair looked back ahead of them and continued on their mission to find food.

El stopped just next to a glass door and pulled it open, starting to pile a bunch of Eggo boxes into her hands. She was happy with the four and started walking away, Ten quickly going to follow as the man called after them.

"Excuse me. Young lady! You know you have to pay for those!" Ten looked behind him at the oncoming man and focused on a woman's shopping cart, using his powers to pull it out, blocking the man. The sibling continued to the slicing glass doors, for some reason he was still going after them and Ten looked back just to watch the doors slam shut on his face, glass shattering everywhere.

☆彡📻----📰ミ☆

Eleven was sat eating her waffles after she had Ten open the box for her, the boy tried one but didn't like them himself so was just sitting with a fond smile as she quietly enjoyed the treat.

A faint shout of their names caught Ten's ear he perked up and looked to Eleven to check if she heard it too. She was also sat straighter, looking around for the source.

The pair got up and walked towards the sound. Eventually seeing a group of four boys, Dustin and Mike's familiar faces standing out to them. Ten's eyes widened as Mike stepped off the side of the large cliff and started falling quickly. He felt El reach out for his hand and happily held it.

El focused with all she could to stop Mike halfway in the air, slowly pulling him back up and over the cliff side. He landed with a grunt and the boys were stood wide-eyed at what had just happened.

All eyes trailed over to Ten and El as they started walking closer, Ten glared at the taller boy of the group, one he didn't recognise. His brows pinched together in concentration as he nodded his head forward, pushing the boy back stumbling off his feet. The other one cried out in pain, "Ah! She broke my arm! My arm!" falling to his knees and clutching at his arm.

"Go" El demanded them as her and Ten stopped, harsh eyes still looking at them. The two quickly got up and ran off, taking a frightened glance at the sibling before sprinting faster away.

Dustin grinned and followed after them a few steps, "Yeah, that's right! You better run! They're out friends and they're crazy! You come back here and they'll kill you! You hear me? They'll kill you, you sons of bitches!"

Ten quickly looked down when El's presence fell away, eyes finding her collapsed on the ground. He quickly crouched down next to her and shook her about wildly to wake her. Mike shuffled himself along the gravel and crouched at her other side, "El are you okay? El?"

Her eyes fluttered open as she looked on at the black haired boy, "Mike... I'm sorry" she apologised, voice cracking and a stray tear fell down her cheek. Ten shuffled closer to take a her hand in his and give it a comforting squeeze, pulling his free hand up to push the tear away.

"Sorry? What are you sorry for?" Mike asked with a small smile shining down on her.

"The gate... I opened it... I'm the monster"

Mike shook his head at her, a smile still on his face, "No. No, El, you're not the monster. You saved me" he promised, "Do you understand? You saved me" he pulled her up into a hug.

Ten shuffled away and watched fondly as his sister was being appreciated for once. His eyes raked from the pair and over to Dustin as the boy crouched in front of him and set his hands on Ten's shoulders with a big smile, "You did it!" Ten quirked a brow at his excitement and Dustin shook him lightly, "You just sent James flying across the ground! Your powers!"

Ten flashed a big grin, he did do it. He actually done it. It wasn't anywhere near what El could do, but still. It felt nice to have someone congratulate him. Dustin nodded at the smile on his face, "Yeah! And it was totally awesome!" he surged forward and wrapped his arms around Ten as the boys laughed victoriously together.

"I did it!" Ten said with excitement, his chest soared with a proud feeling. He was never able to do much with his mind, let alone throw someone back like that. This felt really cool.

__________________________________________