011. home

The winter was tough. Ten and El found themselves adventuring through the woods alone and afraid. The few clothes on their back didn't help much against the harsh temperatures.

Cold and tired, they were struggling to go on. Food was hard to come by and when they did find something, neither wanted to eat it— El could hardly bring herself to kill the small animals, but she had to or they would go hungry.

Ten was picking up a squirrel El had killed just now and walked over with a grimace. But just as he stopped, a faint crackling got his attention, a small sound just in the distance. The pair looked over curiously and started hesitantly in the direction. A soft orange glow warmed him up from the inside, relief casting over him at the small makeshift campfire.

The fire provided them warmth, Ten made sure El got straight to it, instructed the girl to hold her small hands up at the flame, she really needed it. He also knew this could let them cook food, make it warm and good for them to eat.

As he was absentmindedly twirling the squirrel over the fire, trying to get it to cook— a twig snapped just behind him. Both kids threw their heads to look the direction it came from to see an old man standing there, "Hey" he greeted, "I'm not gonna hurt you... What's your names?" neither answered him, "What're you doing out here in the cold?"

His eyes widened as the squirrel raised into the air but he wasn't able to voice anything before Eleven was sending it straight to his head.

The kids quickly ran over and El started heaving the large jacket off his shoulders. Ten went after her to pull of his grey sweater. They hurried to shove on the oversized clothes, El ducking down to take the man's hat as well before sprinting off in the other direction.

☆彡📻----📰ミ☆

The new clothes helped them stay warmer for a good while longer but the cold conditions were still hard to face. It was dark and Ten had enjoyed looking up at the stars, the way they seemed to dance around the vast dark swooshes of colours in the sky. The pair talked in hushed voices, staying quiet as to not alert anyone of their presence.

Staying in one place wasn't much of an option, El never wanted to get to comfortable incase the bad men came looking for them. So, after not long they were once again on their feet. On their walk to nowhere in particular, the kids had found and caught two hares and were on their way to find a place to settle down to sleep— would be taking it in turns of course.

Ten was talking to El, mindlessly telling her what he liked about the night sky and the stars, she asked for this a lot. It gave her something nice to think about as his quiet voice went on about the stars soft twinkling, once he even saw one soaring through the sky. It was beautiful. Something knocked up against his shoes and Ten went tumbling the the ground, almost taking El with him from where their hands were held together— another thing El had wanted them to do, and it made her feel safe so Ten didn't mind.

A small wooden box was what he had tripped over. El checked in with him, he waved her off and got up to brush the dirt and snow off of him. A gasp left the girl and Ten spun around quickly, eying her curiously before walking over to see what had caught her eye. Inside sat a small package of Eggo's and another plastic box.

Ten looked down at them with confusion and looked around for anyone possibly watching them. No one was there. "Take it" he whispered to Eleven, who happily grabbed the items and walked off with him.

There was a small hill not far away, still able to see the box and surrounding area, it was a perfect place to stay for the night. Ten made sure El got comfortable and let her sleep as he kept an eye out. Someone left that, left Eggo's specifically, just sitting out in the woods... maybe they knew about him and El, Ten hoped so, hoped they would want to help.