Chapter Twenty-Five: In the Shadow of Sin

"Are you alright, Abbi?"

Poppy had walked up to me in the great hall, sliding herself onto the bench beside me. My leg was bouncing up and down under the table, my eyes darting a few seats down to Sebastian every few seconds. I had managed to contain the call of the dark magic most of the day, but the darker the sky got, the antsier I became. I looked over at her, forcing myself to focus on just her.

To my surprise, this helped with the desire to run to that Scriptorium immensely.

"Yeah," I sighed, leaning my head to her shoulder as I often did when I was going through something. "Just a hard lecture, and then we got a head start on some reading in the restricted section. It just been a long day."

Poppy reached around me, pulling me into her arms, ignoring the clank of my silverware as it clattered to my plate of steak and kidney pie. I felt Sebastian's eyes burning a hole into my head and my stomach fluttered excitedly. Poppy's arms were comforting, soothing even. She didn't speak, didn't need to even stroke my hair. She just held one arm around me, and put all of her understanding into that one armed hug.

My eyes slid closed for a moment and then, as though she'd sensed it had been helpful, she pulled away from me. Standing from the Slytherin table she'd taken her seat at, she whispered, "If I can help you in anyway, you know where my common room is."

And then she was gone, skipping off down the isle of long tables taking her seat next to another Hufflepuff student, who I'd never met.

That was one of the beautiful things about Poppy; she knew when to show up, and she knew when to back away. Perfectly balanced in her support. I smiled gently to myself before standing and turning to make my exit from the hall.

Imelda, who had been seated on my other side called after me, "We have practice again tomorrow! No hiding in the library!"

I held up my hand in sign of acknowledgment, satisfied she'd heard mine and Poppy's conversation. It had likely saved me a lecture for my less than satisfactory performance at practice today.

His eyes still burned as they followed me, but I didn't turn around to face them, my magic purring in delight at the turn my thoughts took.

It would be an excellent night indeed.

~

It was dark when I crept into the common room, my magic buzzing, tearing at my very veins by this point, itching to find its next wisp. My very bones ached with the desire.

Tonight, I had wanted to blend into the shadows. I dressed in black trousers, my black corseted top Sebastian loved so much, and a long dragon hide black cape, hoping that I could be swallowed whole by the darkness of Hogwarts shadowed dungeon. I twirled my wand between my fingers as I crept down the stairs, clutching my boots in my other hand.

I hadn't wanted them to echo on the metal stairways of the Slytherin dormitories and wake anyone up.

Slinking over to the couches, I sat down, pulling my boots and lacing them tightly, looking around for Sebastian. The dying embers of the fire soothed me that no one would be in here to notice our departure, and hopefully, our return.

I waited.

And waited.

My watch showed ten minutes past midnight. Irritation peaked inside me at his delay.

I closed my eyes for a moment, willing my body to become one with the magic that was calling it. I could feel the thrill of building tension, the slink of the darkness through my veins, making me shiver in anticipation.