Chapter 28

I ended up opening almost every single cabinet, searching for the bags of sugar, both on the counter and on the ground. I finally found it again, and I dragged the large bag out of the cabinet. I attempted to lift the bag of sugar onto the counter, but it barely budged.

So heavy...

Alina returned at that moment, and saw the bag on the ground.

"Do you need help, Lady Corvalia?" She set something down that I couldn't see, and lifted the sugar onto the counter.

"Thank you," I replied, and I climbed onto the counter again.

"Lady Corvalia!" Alina gasped in horror.

"It's alright! Don't worry, if I get hurt it won't be your fault. I promise."

She fidgeted with her apron and said, "My Lady, I will get in trouble either way. Please be more careful."

"...Alright, I'll try. But I can't make any promises."

I turned towards the sugar, pouring just a little amount of it onto a small pan. I filled the pan with some water and placed it over the stove, before jumping down to the ground again.

How do I turn this thing on?

I looked around at the stove, noticing a hole where the knobs to turn the heat on would normally be.

Do they reconstruct the stove every time they cook food? What's this hole doing here?

"Ah! Do you need help with the stove my lady?" Alina asked, as she put down what I assume was some kind of embroidery project.

So she knows how to embroider? That's pretty cool. Maybe I should learn it too.

"How do you turn this on?" I asked her.

She opened up a drawer near the stove and took out some glowing red rocks.

"These are magic stones that you place inside the hole to start the flame. The larger the rock the larger the flame," she explained.

"I can help you melt the sugar, Lady Corvalia, I don't want you to burn yourself," she said, after the explanation.

I feel bad for making her worry, I'll just let her do it then.

I nodded yes and said, "Alright, when the sugar is completely melted, just pour half of the liquid into each pitcher."

"Of course, my lady."

As Alina stirred the water slowly, making the sugar melt, I continued squeezing the lime juice into the pitchers. After painstakingly squeezing all those limes, my arms felt like lead, and I dropped them to my sides to let them rest for a bit.

I instructed Alina to fill up the pitchers with water and the simple syrup I made from sugar and water. Then, she poured some enchanted ice-cubes into the drink, each one perfectly clear and square-shaped (supposedly they never melted and diluted the liquid).

"Finally! The drinks are done!"

I smiled at the progress. The next part would be easier, just scoring the bread and baking it.

Almost time to eat! Is it wrong to feel hungry so soon after eating lunch...