Chapter 7

This time me and Jason are in the back and all our cases were stacked in the passenger seat. I was really anxious because we were going to Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I hate Milwaukee.

Dick parks, having finally arrived, and we all got out of the car. Dick started walking with Jason besides him and me tailing the two.

"The place is called Corvo. It's some kind of speakeasy. Landlord said he bounces the late shift." Dick starts.

"That's too bad. Bouncers are assholes." Jason says with a shoulder shrug.

"Clay isn't! And how would you know anyway?" Dick talks again.

"Uncle Ray would take me to bars with him all the time when I was little. Everyone thought it was cute, till it wasn't. He was a fun drunk. Then he'd get stupid, then he'd start throwing punches... Then the bouncers would kick our asses out." Jason explains.

"Where were your parents?" Dick continues to question.

"Mom was upstate. Dad was downstate. Uncle Ray was the man until he OD'd when I was 13." Jason told us

"You told me they died." I jumped in, confused that Jason told me otherwise.

"They were dead to me." he said with another shrug.

"Where'd you go?" Dick ignores what he and I said.

"Wherever. Foster care. In and out of the system, the streets mostly after that. It's not all bad. I survived. Now look, man, we're living the dream." Jason says.

We get to a door and Dick stops and shows the guard his ID and badge, "Clay Williams workin' tonight?"

"VIP lounge." the guard says with a flat tone.

Jason walks up to the guard and gives him a fake ID. The guard gives him a funny look and puts the ID next to his face.

"There a problem?" Jason retorted.

"'Robert Plissken'? Nice try." The guard gives Jason an eye roll.

"Come on, man, be cool." Jason whines.

"Not tonight, snake." He says cutting the card.

"But I'm 19!" He says starting to get mad.

"Come on Jason lets just go wait in the car." I tell him pulling his jacket and walking away.

He gives me a look and I just wink. I pull his arm and we start walking to the alley. "Where are we going?" he asks

"Just follow me. Just trust me I know what I'm doing." I respond.

We go to the back door and I tug on it. It is still locked. Of course. I look at Jason and he just rolls his eyes. I can hear someone on the other side of the door so I quickly pull Jason to the wall with my back against the wall. I bring his lips close to mine but not yet touching.

A guy comes out with trash and just ignores us. I kick a rock where the door wedge is. The guy goes in and leaves the door closing by itself. Jason runs to catch it but I hold him back.

"We have to wait. He needs to think it's closed." I tell him.

The door shuts all the way and Jason goes to open luckily this time the rock stopped it from locking. I grab his hand and pull him through.

Jason and Madeleine walk through the back door. They walk down a hallway and stop at a door. "Ladies first." Jason says, bowing his head and opening the door. Madeleine walks through and says a small thank you.

Right when they walk in the bar is on the right of them. Jason grabs Madeleine's hand and takes her to it. He picks up a cup with some drink and hands it to her.

"Hey!" A lady yells and it gets Madeleine's and Jason's attention.

"My bad. Thought it was mine. Let me buy you another." Jason sweetly talks to her. Madeleine scoffs and rolls her eyes at how quickly she's forgotten about.

"No it wasn-" She didn't get to finish her sentence because a big burly man stood up from behind her and pushed the lady to sit back down.

"What the fuck are you doing?" Said the big man.

"I'm sorry, Mumford. Did you say somethin'?" Jason said, puffing his chest out a little.

"Jason. Know your limit." Madeleine warns him. Of course though, Jason ignored her.

"Do you want me to kick your ass?" The guy said.

"I want you to try." Jason had his signature smirk and had his fists balled up and looked like he was about to punch the guy.

"Shit. Jason stop before the cops get called." Madeleine tries to tell him and she tugs at his jacket but he doesn't listen.

"Let's do this." Jason says puffing his chest out a little

Dick came rushing over. "Let's not." He tries pushing the two of the away from each other but he gets shoved to the ground by both the guys trying to start a fight

"Back the fuck off. I got this." Jason said to Dick who was still on the ground.

"Jason st-" Madeleine starts to say but an explosion went off. Jason fell and covered Madeleine until everything settled a little.

Madeleine heard Dick talking to the guy he wanted to see, "Clay, call 911."

Jason was still over Madeleine, when he asked her "Are you okay?"

Madeleine nodded and Jason climbed off her. Dick looked back at Madeleine and nodded his head, and she nodded back.

"Where did Clay go?" Dick asks more to himself than anybody. "Come on, you two are leaving."

Madeleine started to walk but her legs hurt from Jason falling into her so she grabbed on to Jason. Jason turned and fixed himself so she was leaning against him with his arm around her waist.

When they were walking out they saw Dick talking with someone on the phone. When they got close enough, they heard him say "Where's Clay." He brought his phone down and checked something and turned to the two teenagers.

"Who was that?" Madeleine asked, still shocked from the building blowing up.

"I killed his father."

"The guy who murdered your parents? That's a win either way you look at it. One less scumbag on the face of the planet. Man, that must have felt awesome." Jason said with a smirk growing on his face.

"Yeah, that's the problem." Dick turned to Jason and started, "Hey, you want my advice? Don't be Robin. All those years Bruce was helping me, he was turning me into a weapon. His weapon. And he may have you convinced that you can get everything you ever wanted, but you can't unlearn what he teaches you, and you can't control it. Believe me, the price is too high." When he finished lecturing Jason, his phone went off, he took it from his pocket and checked it. "I gotta go."

"Where?" Madeleine asks.

"I gotta take care of this by myself. Jason take Madeleine home then you go home. Got it?"

They both nod and he walked off to his car. Madeleine turned to Jason. "We aren't gonna let him go by himself, are we?"

"Nope."