Chapter 14: Oh, it's no rush

Its the Great Pumpkin, Sam Winchester 1

It was the day before Halloween as Sam, Dean, and Alexis stood in the kitchen, investigating a killing.

"Now, how many razor blades did they find?" Sam asks.

"Two on the floor, one in his stomach." The victims wife tells him. "And one was stuck in his throat. He swallowed four of them. How is that even possible?" She looks over at Dean, who was searching the stove. "The candy was never in the oven."

"We just have to be thorough, Mrs. Wallace." Dean straightened up.

"Did the police find any more razors? In the candy? Anywhere?" Alexis questions.

"No. I mean, I don't know. I don't think so. I...I just can't believe it. You hear urban legends about this stuff, but it actually happens?"

"More than you might imagine." Sam tells her.

Dean, who was now at the refrigerator, held up a hex bag.

"Mrs. Wallace, did Luke have any enemies?"

"Enemies?" Mrs. Wallace echoes.

"Anyone who might've held a grudge?"

"What do you mean?"

"Co-workers, neighbors." Sam pauses as Mrs. Wallace looked at him. "Maybe a woman."

"Are you suggesting an affair?"

"Just trying to figure out what happened, Mrs. Wallace.. Anything's a possibility." Alexis gave her a small smile.

"Is it possible?" Sam asks.

"No. Luke would never--" Mrs. Wallace trails off.

"I'm very sorry, but like my partner said, we have to consider every possibility."

"If someone wanted to kill my husband, don't you think they'd find a better way than a razor in a piece of candy he might eat?"

~~~

Dean drops the keys into the table before taking off his jacket. Alexis slips out of hers, pulling a handful of candy out of her pocket before dropping her coat on the bed.

"Really?" Sam asks the two as he sits on the couch, researching what was in the hex bag. "After that guy choked down all those razor blades?"

"Its Halloween, man." Dean sat down beside Sam.

"Yeah. For us, every day is Halloween."

Alexis sat down in Deans lap. "We have a whole couch and you two overgrown toddlers take up the whole thing." She complains.

Dean grabs a piece of candy from her hand. "Don't be a downer. Find anything?" He asks Sam.

"Well, we're on a witch hunt, that's for sure, but this isn't your typical hex bag." Sam gestures to the contents of the bag.

"No?"

"Goldthread." Sam held up the small plant. "An herb that's been extinct for 200 years. And this--" Sam picked up the coin. "--is Celtic. And I don't mean some New Age knockoff. Its looks like the real deal, like 600 years old real."

Dean picked up the last thing, sniffing it.

"And that is the charred metacarpal bone of a newborn baby." Sam tells him.

"Oh, gross." Dean drops it back onto the table.

"God, I hate witches." Alexis mutters.

"Relax, man. Its at least a hundred years old." Sam tells him.