Story 2

"So you're pen pals now?" Ningning asked Minjeong. She stretched – tired from studying.

"Something like that," mumbled Minjeong. They had been writing to each other the old fashion way – using pen and paper.

Karina had sent a thank you note to her address. Since then, she had written back using her English name that only a few people knew about.

"So does she know that Kim W is short for Winter?" Ningning teased.

"Yes."

"Well, your handwriting is a mess so I'm not surprised that she thought that you were a boy." Ningning grinned.

"Shut up."

Ningning tilted her head. "You're still set on applying to the same university?"

Minjeong nodded.

"Your parents finally gave in?"

Minjeong's parents wanted her to study abroad but she had vehemently refused. She promised them that she would do her graduate studies abroad but for now, she wished to stay in Korea.

Minjeong nodded again.

"You're a creepy stalker, Kim Minjeong." Ningning shook her head. "Or a lovesick psychopath. I don't know which one is worse."

Minjeong didn't respond.

"Wanna go get patbingsoo?" Ningning asked. She didn't feel like studying today.

"Sure." Minjeong finally put her pencil down.

----

"Hey, wanna grab lunch?"

Karina read Ryujin's message.

"Nah, it's been a long day. I just want to go back to the dorm and relax," replied Karina.

"Okay then. See you tomorrow."

Karina locked the phone as she made her way to her dorm. After her father had decided to go back to the States, she had decided to stay at the dorm instead of living with relatives. It was less lonely and burdensome that way, she thought.

As always, she would check her mailbox before entering the building. She smiled when she saw an envelope waiting for her. She ripped it open immediately and started reading.

"Hey, how was your day? Has that bald professor given you another ridiculous assignment?"

She smiled as she climbed the stairs to her room. They had been writing to each other for almost two years now. They would use emails during vacation periods but they would immediately switch back to snail mail once term started. Karina had accepted the fact that this mysterious pen pal of hers didn't only go to the same school but also to the same university. She wished that she knew who it was but until then, she didn't mind being pen pals. In a way, it made her easier to express herself. She had gone past being creeped out at this point. Besides, this Kim W never did anything but write her letters and sending her gifts every now and then.

"I'm writing this in class, by the way. It's so boring. Half the class is asleep already and it's only been fifteen minutes since class started. I got a B+ on the last assignment so I'm feeling smart enough not to listen to him right now."

Karina paused her reading to unlock the door.

"It's almost Christmas. I choose to forget the fact that we have midterm and skip right to the holiday. What's your plan? Are you going to stay with your aunt? Visit your family back in the States? Or are you going on vacation with your boyfriend? My parents are forcing me to go on vacation with them. I don't mind going some place warm but it's been a crazy term. I really just want to stay home and do nothing for two weeks."