Chapter 6: Icy

(A/N: I am back much sooner than I expected. Thank you for your support and patience) 

Back to the story! (Also trigger warning of a bit gory description)

3rd POV:

With a katana tightly gripped in his hand, Akihiro cautiously approached the hut. He steeled his nerves, mentally preparing himself for whatever awaited him inside. As he pushed the door open, his eyes widened in shock and disgust at the horrifying scene that greeted him.

The stench of blood and decay filled the air, making Akihiro's stomach churn. His grip on the katana tightened, his knuckles turning white. Before him, a demon feasted on a fresh liver, its grotesque display of carnage sending shivers down Akihiro's spine. The lifeless body of a child lay discarded on the floor, adding to the macabre scene.

The demon glanced up, its bloodshot eyes meeting Akihiro's gaze. A sinister smirk formed on its twisted face as it spoke, its voice dripping with malevolence. Akihiro's attention was drawn to the kanji etched on the demon's right eye, the number six.

"Huh, didn't I tell ya not to disturb me? And what with the commotion outside?" 

Akihiro could only stand silent as his grip on his katana tighten. He closed his eyes, trying to deny the reality of this world. A world that has no mercy for those who are weak against the demons.

Yet, Akihiro already knew what kind of world this is. He doesn't refuse. He doesn't run away. He chooses to accept because he knew he isn't the protagonist or the antagonist, in the end... He is what he chooses to become.

"Are you deaf, brat? Do you want to get eaten like these weak and delicious children?" The demon snickered.

"Shut up, tomato." He opened his eyes, full of rage. Full of... Refusal.

With a swift movement, Akihiro lunged forward, his katana cutting through the air with precision. The demon easily perceived Akihiro's speed, his eyes narrowing as he prepared to counter the attack.

But Akihiro's true genius lay not just in his speed, but in his ability to adapt and outmaneuver his opponents. As his strike neared the demon, Akihiro shifted his stance and altered the trajectory of his attack, catching the demon off guard.

"You think this will do the job?!" The demon's voice echoed, filled with a sinister tone. Suddenly, dark red smoke leaked and exploded from within the demon's body, forming a barrier that prevented Akihiro's katana from making contact.

Akihiro's eyes widened in surprise as he felt the force of the dark red smoke repelling his attack. He quickly realized that this lower moon won't be easy. The red smoke filled the room, leaving Akihiro defenseless without clear vision.

The demon's wicked laughter filled the room, taunting Akihiro. "You underestimate me, little slayer. Your feeble attempts won't be enough to defeat me."

Akihiro's attempt to predict the demon's attack based on sound alone proved to be futile. The demon's movements were shrouded in the swirling dark smoke, making it nearly impossible for Akihiro to anticipate its next strike. In an instant, the demon lunged forward, its sharp claws slashing across Akihiro's back.

Pain seared through Akihiro's body as he staggered forward, clutching his wounded back.

Akihiro only realizes one thing. He is weak. He is simply weak to fight a real challenge. He doesn't even have experience fighting demons. Akihiro closed his eyes, disappointed in himself.

"Ah... What are you?" Akihiro's senses were momentarily frozen as he heard the unfamiliar voice. It echoed in his mind, the same voice he had heard when he fell unconscious the day before.