Chapter One

Not to be morbid or anything, but I'd never given much thought to how I'd want to die. If I happened to be asked about it though, I wouldn't have to think very hard. It would be the same way I wanted to live: happy, content, surrounded by the people I love. Preferably it would be in my childhood home of Forks, Washington.

My parents got married young and quickly figured out they were in way over their heads.

They divorced when I was just a year old, my mom taking me and my twin sister Bella with her. I guess it got too hard though, taking care of two babies by herself.

Not even two months after she left, she sent me back to my dad and that's where I lived for most of my youth.

I'm not sure what criteria she used to decide which daughter to keep: the quieter one? The one who looked more like her? Was it random?

It wasn't like I was particularly upset at the decision though. I loved living with my dad.

His best friends were Harry Clearwater and Billy Black. We spent a lot of time at their houses: Fish fry's, birthdays, big games. I would trail behind Leah and Rachel and Rebecca or play with little baby Seth. Their houses were my second home and their children were basically my family. For a time I actually thought we were real cousins.

My dad had never been the most affectionate or vocal father, but the small things kinda canceled that out.

After every softball game he took me out for pizza, every birthday he sent balloons to my school, and whenever I got a good grade he would take me to the toy store and let me pick out whatever I wanted.

That all ended though when Renee decided she was finally stable enough (a lie) to take care of both me and Bella and I was sent to live with her.

It was a big change for me. Sure, I talked to Bella and Renee on the phone all the time and we saw each other on holidays, but how much could you really know someone through calls and occasional visits?

It wasn't terrible per se. It seemed like every time I opened my eyes we were in a different place: Denver, Los Angelos, Orlando.

Not that I minded. I'd always been adventurous and found it exciting. Not to mention the fact that for the first time in my life, I got to spend more than a couple of weeks with my mother. Getting to know Renee was great. Getting to know my sister was even better.

We had basically been separated for the first 13 years of our lives. I had been closer to my school friends and Leah than her.

It was a little patchy at first, neither of us knowing what to make of the other. And Bella was more awkward than a deer walking for the first time. But I had lived with Dad my whole life and knew how to deal with her.

I dedicated my whole first month there to breaking through to her. Accompanying her to the library, asking her for help with school, inviting her to my games and practices, etc, etc. Within no time she warmed up to me, and that was that. Bella has been my best friend ever since (as I'm pretty sure I was hers).

I was grateful for my time with Renee and Bella but there was always something missing. As much as I loved them, Home was home.

And that's why I was overjoyed when Bella came up with the tremendous idea that we go live with Dad for the remainder of our high school career.

Renee had gotten remarried not too long ago to this minor league baseball player named Phil (nice guy), and Bella had wanted to give them space. I hadn't really cared about that (we would be out of the house in a few years anyway, why did they need space?), but I was behind going back to Forks.