Chapter Three

By the time next week came around, I had already started to get into a groove. Bella and I alternated shower times to avoid bathroom haggling in the mornings. I took nights— mostly because I loved hot showers and couldn't be trusted to be out in time for school— and Bella took mornings.

We all walked out the door at exactly eight in the morning. Charlie hugged me and Bella goodbye and then we both parted ways.

School was school. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would though.

French class was easy and I basically spent the whole time joking off with Lauren. Gym and Art were relaxing. Fortunate because while my other classes hadn't exactly gotten harder, the workload had increased. I guess the first couple of days had been a grace period.

I had gotten closer to the gang and felt comfortable calling about half of them "friends", especially after I went to my first practice yesterday.

It was just a small game. No more than ten people. But it had proved to be every bit as intense as Whitney had described.

They moved me around in different positions, seeing which one I seemed to fit better in. I had done more jumping and bending and squatting in that one practice than in my entire life.
It was fun at the time but my body was now feeling the consequences.

The girls had teased me for my lack of experience but eventually relented that I'd done well for my first time. Whitney had spent the entire lunch period today giving me various tips and pointers about my form. I shuddered to think about how serious she'd get when the actual season started.

And now, I was in my first hECO club meeting with Lauren. The club leader, some teacher whose name I didn't even remember, had given us some materials and did a quick little introduction but then left us to our own devices. She now sat at her desk, typing away at something on her computer.

The current topic was sewing. We were sitting with a medium-sized cloth, needle and thread, and a printout of basic sewing patterns.

So far, my work was going better than Lauren's, who kept sticking her thumb every few seconds. The pattern was pretty but simple. My own hands were more clumsy than I liked, unused to the steady and tedious motions, but I went slow and steady.

Lauren's spiel today consisted of her recent breakup with Tyler Crowley.

"And then he just says 'I think we should see other people'. I mean, what kind of piss poor excuse is that? Who else is he going to find better than me in this school? He could've at least given me a valid reason"

I knew exactly who 'better than her' Tyler Crowley was interested in. Bella.

She'd told me how they sat at the same table at lunch and he was always flirting with her. Pointless in my opinion. He'd have a better chance of convincing my dad to go on a date with him than Bella.

I didn't tell Lauren this of course. I just hummed in agreement.

I would almost feel bad for Lauren if not for the fact that she obviously didn't love Tyler. The two of them got together after a heavily-intoxicated round of five minutes in heaven not even two months ago.

"You're better off without him" And I did mean it. I had never seen the two ever smile or laugh together. He constantly made advances on other girls and Lauren looked miserable every time she talked to or about him. "It is terrible timing though. The dance being only a couple months away"

"I know!" She exclaimed before letting out a hiss. She'd stabbed her thumb again. More deep than before. Shit.

I went to the teacher's desk, who luckily had a box of bandaids in her drawers. She pulled one out and handed it to me without so much as looking from her screen.