Mine

Yves Pires Le Baiser, The Kiss, 2012

Edited and Updated.

I meet Veronica with a gaze that doesn't move.

[I don't know you by The Marias plays]

In a dark room with the only bright thing a TV on mute, he watches Veronica who watches him back in a daze. There's music murmuring in the background, and they're on the couch in their signature position: Him sitting upright while her head rests on his thigh. Veronica softly pours herself into him with her gaze, and he silently consumes with starved eyes.

Unfortunately, she doesn't know that it's him.

It's Jacob, in a black ski-mask that only reveals his amber orbs and a sharp nose. Of course, he knows that it's Veronica in a tight, red plaid dress fitting her earthy and smooth skin. His stare crawls over her face, so lucid and flawless before moving to the space where her heart should be. The top of her breast are like clay and a mole sits above one. It hurts him to switch his attention back to the TV.

But not as much as seeing her with Michael. The heart-ache was constant and sharp upon seeing Michael wrapped around her, caging her in. He remembered drowning his rage in alcohol because of how Michael's fingers carelessly touched her lips.

Yet, his heart bled seeing Veronica sobbing, dancing alone in the middle of the floor after some ordeal with Michael. It was only painful because he knew he couldn't comfort her with Lizzy and Michael not too far away.

For two days, Jacob anticipated her, collecting every emotion he could command in his body into a prayer to see her tonight. He couldn't eat, never dared to because all he could taste was her skin. When he blinked, her face was there. Asleep and awake, Veronica still stained his thoughts. He'd gone blind to the outside world due to her beauty overshadowing. Above all, he was frantically anxious about how this night would go. He wasn't at ease til' he executed the mysterious men who came uninvited, but seemed to be there for Veronica. The music was at a screeching volume when he shot them on the dance floor before Paul and George cleaned up behind him.

Surprisingly but easily, he lured the woman he adored, the one his kind wouldn't stop conjuring for days, years to a private room at the club. Victory was an understatement for how he felt in this moment.

He quickly glances down at Veronica and then back to the TV. He assumes this is the most drunk she's ever been in her life- judging by the fact she's still on his lap staring at the wall absentmindedly.

Though nothing he planned was done, he still accomplished his goal. Veronica, wasted yet adorably and oblivious to her surroundings, including him, was the only thing he desired infinitely. He wouldn't dare take the mask off, though. Jacob knew, even drunk, she would recognize him and that thought alone was paralyzing.

Suddenly, Veronica sits up and focuses on Jacob. Her face that was usually a canvas for her emotions was completely numb, yet a small smile played on it. Jacob looks into her and knows she's gone. When she draws closer to him, noses almost touching, he strangles back the urge to close the gap between them.