Chapter Six- Saint Valentine

All units got a call that a neighbour heard some distressing noises from next door. Mikey called it in that he was en route and heard Athena's voice also come through the other end of the radio.

Pulling up to the house, Mikey stepped out to greet Sergeant Grant as they both arrived at the same time coincidentally.

"Having a great Valentine's, Sarg?" He asked, walking alongside the older woman.

"I took an extra shift to be away from my husband who has found an interest in men, does it seem like this day is great, Andrews." She scoffed, making it to the doorstep.

Mikey knocked on the door, "LAPD, open up please." he called from outside.

After only a few moments, a person could be seen through the sliding window on the door and the door was swung open to reveal a fidgety woman, "Yes?"

"You alright, ma'am?" Mikey asked, glancing around the woman to her background surroundings.

"Yes, I'm fine." She spoke, her voice shaky.

Athena finally spoke up, taking a look around the property, "We got a noise complaint from one of your neighbours."

The woman's voice began to shake a bit more, "Oh, I'm sorry. I got into a fight with my boyfriend. Probably got loud."

"Is he still here?" Mikey asked, trying to find any signs of a possible struggle.

She shakes her head, "No, I'm all alone."

"Mind if we come in?" Athena and Mikey said in sync, glancing over at each other.

The woman nods her head, moving backwards to allow the officers to step inside. Mikey closed the door behind them and followed Athena's lead.

"Just have a look around?" Athena asked the woman, looking around the corner into the living area.

"Sure."

Mikey and Athena split ways, checking out a few of the rooms until they met back up in the middle.

"Dumped on Valentine's Day, can you believe it?" The woman called out from the other room, finding her way back to both officers in the living area.

"Yeah, well men can be dogs." Athena said, glancing over at Mikey.

Mikey held up his hands and chuckled, "Hey, I won't argue with you there."

The woman sighed and walked around the room, "Just thought he'd be a good dog, thought he would be the one." She fidgeted with her fingers, looking over at the two officers. Something seemed off, Mikey could sense it, although he wasn't sure what it was.. He couldn't quite put his finger on it.

Athena tried to offer some kind words of advice, clearly not picking up on the same things that Mikey was, "Yeah well sometimes the one isn't even the one. Take it from me, you can be married and still feel alone."

"Do you?" The woman asked, her eyes bringing forth tears.

"Sometimes yeah, we all do."

Mikey glanced over at Athena, seeing her in a totally new light. He wasn't really used to hearing her feelings. She was never one to broadcast or put them on display. However, Mikey always had a good sense of who someone was, he could tell when the people he was close to were going through things that they just couldn't bring themselves to speak about.

The woman nodded her head and took a seat, her focus being caught by the wedding band on Athena's left hand where it had always been, "But you're wearing that ring."

Athena lifted her head slightly, taking a look at the ring and pondered everything that it had once symbolised, "Yeah well I took a vow."

The woman looked up at Athena with amazement painted in her gaze, "That's so beautiful." She now glanced over at Mikey, "What about you? Do you have a wife or have you been in love?"