Chapter Thirty-One: The Taking of Dispatch 9-1-1

"Yep. Go for Buck" Buck spoke as he answered the phone, the pair walking in after getting breakfast that morning.

"How come 9-1-1 doesn't respond when I call?" Mikey questioned.

"Uh, is that some kind of riddle?" Buck asked, confused. "Like who watches the Watchmen?"

"No, no, I don't think so anyway" Mikey spoke, a little confused now too, "Anyway, I just tried calling 9-1-1 and I got the high call volume message. Did I miss like an earthquake or something?"

Buck put the call on speaker for El to listen in as well, "Nope, pretty chill morning. Wait, why are you calling 9-1-1?"

"Is everything okay?" El asked once he set down the phone on the counter.

"Oh Ellie, thank god, I was hoping you were there too. Maddie said that she loved me" Mikey sighed.

"That's great...right?" El spoke perplexed.

"Did you forget that we're broken up?" Mikey spoke in a sarcastic tone, "But that's beside the point. Maddie told me that she doesn't like saying I love you because of Doug right? Plus she called me Micheal. No one calls me Micheal. So she goes, I love you, Micheal, and just hangs up. Now she won't answer my texts and her phone is going straight to voicemail" Mikey explained.

"It's still not quite sounding like an emergency" Buck stated.

"Because I sound insane, right?" Mikey groaned.

"Not gonna lie, you do a bit" El commented. "She's at the call centre right?"

"Yeah...like what could happen there?" Mikey spoke trying to convince himself. "You know what? Forget it." Mikey sighed.

"Love you Mikey" El teased on the phone as he hung up.

-

"Buck, do not try and talk me out of this" Mikey spoke through the phone as Buck had just finished giving El a back massage. "I need to go down there myself and just make sure she's okay"

"Yeah, no, she-she didn't pick up when El and I called her either. I tried calling Josh and it went straight to voicemail." Buck confirmed as he wrapped his arm around El, worry for his sister seeping through his veins.

"Now I'm definitely going after her" Mikey confirmed until he heard a knock at the door.

"What if something is wrong? Maybe we should call the police?" Buck questioned, looking at El for confirmation.

"I think someone already did," Mikey said as he opened the door.

El checked her phone, seeing the security ca, footage to see Athena outside of the door. "Mikey, why is Athena there?"

"I'm trying to figure that out" Mikey spoke with a raised brow. "Wait, how do you know that?"

"I have a camera" El responded, gaining a concerned look from Buck. "Don't look at me like that" She sassed.

All went somewhat silent over the other end of the phone leaving Buck and El in the dark. Once the sounds of them talking stopped, Buck spoke out. "What is she saying now?" Buck asked.

"SHHH, she's making her case" Mikey spoke. "Now she's surrendering like a 12 year old on Warzone.

"Let me talk to Athena," Buck spoke.

"Absolutely not, let me talk to her" El interjected.

"Captain needs to make some calls. As evidence goes, an I love you, is less than convincing" Athena spoke, the phone now on speaker.