Chapter 19: The Protections' Faults

(Content/trigger warnings for this chapter: anxiety, mention of a child in peril)

**Isabelle**

By the time the vision had vanished, bones were sprinkled across the ground in wide piles between the tightly-packed pine trees. The snow sat as soft gray slush beneath the bones. Jack stood near the foggy edge of my sight, facing me, panting.

My eyes crossed over the landscape, back and forth, back and forth. Snow crunched in the distance, but no bones rattled, and no wings beat. Freezing wind rustled the pine branches and numbed my frigid, shivering body. It was quiet.

Was it over? Was I safe? Where were the other children?

Jack flew to me as I continued to scan the area, still finding no Fear Angels. How had he destroyed them?

"Are you okay?" he said once he'd made it. "You stopped responding."

I turned back around to face him, my heart rate slowing, though my eyes still darted everywhere and I jumped at any sudden breeze or snow crunch, my eyes jolting to look at its source. "Yes, I just had a vision. Where is everyone?"

"You protected them with your shields. Your power created domes around the other kids, and I was able to use that extra time to kill the Fear Angels. The shields did flicker, and that caused some problems, but the kids all made it to a house nearby."

I sighed in relief at first, knowing the others were all right, especially Zo. I didn't want to feel any guiltier. But then my heart nearly stopped. "What?" I had never used my powers while seeing into the past. Was that a bad sign? Though my vision had never flickered before... Could I not use two powers at the same time?

"You weren't in control?"

I shook my head.

Jack's eyebrows drew together. "Well, what'd you see in your vision?" He walked farther into the forest, and I followed. I told him about Pitch's plan, and my muscles tightened. He'd said he'd attack more than one school. What others had he besides mine?

"Hmm..." Jack said, and his gaze dropped to my hands as I moved to bundle them further against my frigid, shivering body. I glanced down at myself and gasped.

A full quarter of the star-like G lay visible on my left palm. I was a fourth of the way to the transformation.

My heart pounded harder again. Had the symbol appeared because I saved everyone with my shields? Told Jack about my vision? Caught his attention at the window, leading to our rescue? My anxiety forced all my thoughts to focus on my possible death. What if Ranya and I didn't have enough time to stop it?

My numb legs halted as tears welled in my eyes. "Jack... He's gonna kill me. He's gonna kill me! He said he'd kill me once I become a spirit!"

One thing was for certain: I couldn't use my powers anymore if I wanted to keep the symbol away.

How was I supposed to get rid of them now?

(A/N: Vote, comment, and follow to support me and let me know you're enjoying this!)