Chapter 42: This Plan of Theirs

(Content/trigger warnings for this chapter: anxiety)

**Isabelle**

I held my arms in front of me, trying to calm my racing thoughts as all the Fear Angels sped past Ranya in my direction. But all of my mind focused on the skeletal beings. I would be paralyzed, kidnapped, and who knew what next. My arms trembled hard like the rest of my body as if my bones were about to leave me and fall in a heap. A shield, a shield, a shield, I tried to think as the Fear Angels powered toward me. I shrieked.

Blue bubbling over Ranya and me, I tried to think. Or I would be paralyzed. Pitch would kidnap me... Even Ranya couldn't defeat Fear Angels. A shield, a shield...

Terror hijacked my muscles and wouldn't let me move, even to dodge or hide from the Fear Angels racing toward me. It would only let me raise my hands, palms out, as my thoughts clawed at the one way I could defend myself.

A blue glassy shield bloomed from my fingertips and shot over Ranya and me. Darker blue stars and spirals spun to life across its surface like a spell that would keep us safe.

The Fear Angels fell against it. Hairline cracks split into the shield and spread.

I screamed. Something screeched outside. "Help us!" I shrieked.

More cracks fractured along the surface and expanded as the Fear Angels continued to pound. The shield wouldn't hold very long.

Right as it clinked to pieces of shattered glass and vanished, a brightly clothed figure dropped through the hole near the window, flicked her wrist, and shouted, "Die!"

Swelling purple light streaked from Dakota's hand into one of the Fear Angel's heads. The being erupted into bones and smoke. The crowd of Fear Angels turned to her. There were four now, from both the window and the upstairs door.

Ranya crept back over to me.

"Attack Fear Angels!" Dakota flicked her hand at one skeletal being as the other three charged her. The controlled skeletal being dashed in front of the others and stretched its fingers toward them. It paralyzed two, who clutched each other and rattled to the ground in a pile of bones and feathers. Then the last one fell. "Die!" Dakota shouted, and a swelling purple streak shot into the controlled Fear Angel's head. It erupted.

Silence enveloped the room. My body still shook. Ranya glanced up at Dakota, whose gaze searched the area.

"Thank you," I stuttered out. Dakota smiled down at me, but when she looked away, her expression hardened.

She turned to my sister. "Did the Guardians leave you down here alone?" Dakota's gaze centered on Dad's paralyzed body at the far end of the room, and so did mine. My heart twisted through my now-quieter fear. This was my fault, too, wasn't it? I couldn't calm myself to use my powers earlier. Ranya's stare was blank. "I knew you'd need help, but didn't know the Guardians would leave you like this."

Dakota looked back at me, the rage of a wildfire burning in her eyes. "When I sensed Fear Angels, and saw them come down, I knew they might be coming for you, Isabelle. I'm sorry I didn't make it sooner." So she hadn't even seen the email. She broke my gaze.

Jack slipped through the window, nearly tripping over all the bones on the floor. His eyes widened as he took in the room, but he stumbled back entirely when he caught sight of Dad.

"The Fear Angels are retreating," he breathed. "I came to let you know—they've done whatever they came here to do. You're safe now."

Before anyone could reply, he leaped back out the window again.

(A/N: Will you please vote, comment, add to your reading lists, and follow if you're enjoying this story?

And can you come join my Discord server also? You can talk about RotG with fellow fans, share and talk about RotG fanworks, talk about my works, get notified when I post a new chapter to anything, and make friends! Copy and paste this link to join: https://discord.gg/v4dHDdXA (Go to the most recent chapter for a link that works; Discord disables them after a week))