Chapter 41: This Failure of Mine

(Content/trigger warnings for this chapter: depression-like thing, anxiety)

--Ranya--

My greasy brown hair hung damp and clingy around my head—a result of skipping my shower last night. I sent the email and threw my phone onto the sagging couch.

I couldn't let Pitch win.

The Fear Angel focused on my dad, its jaw slack as it hunched over in the small space—though I knew that wouldn't hinder it.

Isabelle stood in the corner with her arms outstretched toward the creature. Her face was taut and pale, her eyes shining. But if she could create a shield again, we might be saved.

My dad barely dodged the first swipe of the Fear Angel, and I snatched a heavy tome off the ground, fought the weight in my body, and charged the creature.

A faint idea popped to life in the back of my brain. "Lullay sweet sister," I sang as my dad barely blocked another blow from the Fear Angel with the lamp. "Go softly to sleep." I slammed my book into the skeletal creature's back. It didn't stumble, or turn to me. It was suddenly harder to breathe. Pitch had sent it on a mission. "Don't fret about the fading light." I fought to keep my voice even as I struck again, but the Fear Angel brushed my dad's arm. He dropped loose and hard to the ground. The Fear Angel turned toward Isabelle. "The monsters that rise up tonight." Two more Fear Angels climbed through the window at once, one shoving the side to make enough room for them both. Drywall crumbled to the ground.

Isabelle was even paler.

The door to the main level thunked open against the wall.

(A/N: Will you please vote, comment, add this story to a reading list, and follow if you're enjoying this?

Also come join my Discord server! You can talk about RotG with fellow fans, share and talk about RotG fanworks, talk about my works, get notified when I post a new chapter to anything, and make friends! Copy and paste this link to join: https://discord.gg/8kdwyf4D (Go to the most recent chapter for a link that works; Discord disables them after a week))