Chapter 59: The Horror

(Content/trigger warnings for this chapter: depression-like thing, anxiety)

--Ranya--

You know, I'd thought I'd have a plan for how this would go down.

Instead, I stood, mud up to my ankles, sweating under my winter clothes, eyes narrowed at Pitch twenty feet away with no idea how to kill him. I hadn't managed a good hit this whole war. The world tilted under my feet in flashing colors, and Isabelle—muttering—and the hole to the lair hunched behind me.

Fear Angels stood in a large ring around us ten feet deep, towering over our heads like the white mist. I glanced back at Isabelle, but they weren't coming for her. They weren't coming for us at all.

The sky was a bright green in my vision that morning. I tried to push my weight down as best I could and raised my dagger in front of me. Today, I fought for love—for people to actually like me, for the Guardians' lives, and most importantly, for my family's.

"Fight me, Ranya!" Pitch opened his arms wide. "You have no one left!"

I stumbled to the ground as I charged.

---

**Isabelle**

Ranya wouldn't win.

It was clearer to me now than ever.

Where was the Watcher? Where was the soother?

I had to help before they came.

Echoes flashed around me, no longer appearing one at a time, but six or seven, their voices combining, jumbling with one another. The muttering under my breath grew.

Something was off, though. I could sense, during the brief breaks between Echoes, when none of my other powers were active, that time was out of balance in certain places—where I had rewound it. It nearly felt like I could see, in those patches of blood-leafed branches and old animal corpses, faces. Faces with wrinkles and fangs, or half a head of shock white hair, or two pupilless eyes. I thought I saw Lotus once. And I thought, beneath the Echoes, I heard a thrum of voices crying to join them. Or begging me to run. Lotus begged me to run.

My body shook as I turned to the Fear Angels. I fumbled with the zipper on my backpack, nearly releasing the paper flowers with little butterflies on them.

My heart pounded as hard as it ever had. My ears rang when Fear Angels turned toward me, their bodies towering at full height.

And they rushed me. I fumbled with the flowers and tried to control my fear, reason with myself, but my powers erupted from my body like canons. Shields threw the Fear Angels back, blasts of light seared through them, and time reverted them to nothing. They all cried out in pain. They latched onto each other.

Though I could make myself run into the woods toward Pitch's lair, I couldn't calm my fear to shut off this power storm.

"I'm sorry!" I cried. "Stay back! Please! I can't control them!"

The Fear Angels didn't listen.

"Please! I don't want to hurt you! I love you; I have gifts." I gave up grabbing an individual paper blossom. When I tried to fling them together past my powers, prove my love, however, shields and bolts of light blasted them into the ground. The Fear Angels pressed toward me more quickly.

---

--Ranya--

I shouldn't have been alive at this point.