rivalry part 2

The silence was deafening; no words were said. The engines sat there, David and Mark stared daggers at each other. Then David steamed away, gritting his teeth, barely keeping his rage in check. the three remaining engines looked at each other.

"so... that happened" said Nick slowly.

"why did you think asking was a good idea?" questioned Colin.

"I don't know... I was curious" Stammered Nick.

"Well to answer your question Nick" began Mark indifferently "We used to work together, we never got on and began a sort of rivalry , I have tried to stop the animosity, hasn't worked though"

The conversation continued after that until the engines fell asleep and soon after David returned and subsequently fell asleep. In the morning the engines were woken up by their crews and subsequently sent to work: Nick on the construction, Colin on passengers, Mark on passengers and freight and finally David on harbour trains. (the Coaldai colliery is closed due to the investigation). 

Between lakeside and Glan y mor station their is an old bridge. The bridge was built when the railway was built, there was a plan to replace the bridge during the lines expansion to dual lines but this would've happened at the end of the expansion. Mark was in the loop line of lakeside station; he had a train of vans for the harbour. He was stuck waiting for David to pass with a long train of empties due for coytan and seldon junction.

David ignored him as he began to travel over the bridge but as he crossed he heard a cracking noise; and suddenly the bridge gave out from beneath him. Fortunately the tracks remained in tacked but the force of the bridge giving out had derailed David's pony-truck; this effectively made David trapped on a tightrope with no way to move. Mark rushed into action and slowly rolled onto the remains of the bridge and used a chain to attach himself to David's pony-truck and yelled:

"I am going to pull your pony-truck upwards so you can drive forwards off the bridge, Tell your fireman to uncouple your train"

"ok" yelled back David, clearly panicking.

Swiftly David's train was uncoupled and Mark gave David a swift look and David knew what he meant. Both engines moved forwards slowly and carefully and soon, with great care, the two engines got off the bridge. Both engines were shaken up and remained silent for a while until David finally said:

"You aren't the same engine I knew"

"yes... I have changed" said Mark calmly " I have changed for the better"

"indeed" replied David calmly.

After that the two engines departed to go too the sheds. Once at the sheds they found lord decal waiting for them:

"hello engines" greeted Lord Decal.

"hello sir" said the two engines nervously.

"First, I want to say the bridge collapse was not your fault" began lord decal "apparently the maintenance crew were late to go to the bridge. second the bridge repairs have been given priority so it should take only a few days, lastly the investigation from the colliery has been concluded, the colliery was deemed to be at fault so it will be closed till it is brought up to code and then some"

"what do you mean and then some?" asked Mark.

"the colliery is planning to use it's temporary closure as a chance to expand" replied lord decal.

"where are Colin and Nick?" asked David.

"they are on the other side of the bridge" answered lord decal.

"what about the hill loop" questioned Mark

"Still incomplete" said lord decal" also services will be lessened but still run but roads will be used between lakeside and glan y mor"

After lord decal said this he departed; presumably to go tell this to Colin and Nick. Soon after David and Mark fell asleep.