13: Dead But Alive?

When it came time for Bret to tell everyone the news, the first person he wanted to tell was his dad. Grant, who didn't think Bret was alive. It was tough enough for his dad. But, to suppose his son was alive, living in Hell?

Bret cringed, "This is going to be tough. Impossible if he believes me."

His dad was the only person home at the time of Bret's unexpected death. Keyword: unexpected. Bret put this aside for days, realizing he would need to tell him soon.

Loona gave Bret a reassuring smile. "I know it's going to be difficult, but I believe in you," she said. "You'll find a way to tell him, and I'll be right there with you."

Bret nodded, feeling grateful for Loona's support. He took a deep breath and headed over to his dad's house. When he arrived, he saw his dad sitting on the front porch. He was reading a book.

"Dad," Bret said, approaching him slowly. "Can we talk?"

Grant looked up, surprised to see Bret standing in front of him. "Bret?" he said, his voice filled with disbelief. "Is it you?"

Bret nodded, tears forming in his eyes. "It's me, Dad," he said. "I'm alive, in a way."

Grant's eyes widened in shock. "What do you mean, in a way?" he asked.

Bret took a deep breath, preparing to explain everything to his dad. He told him about how he had ended up in Hell. How he had become a hellhound, and how he had met Loona. He told him about the baby and how they had just found it was a boy.

Grant listened intently, his expression changing from shock to disbelief to acceptance. When Bret finished, Grant reached out and took his hand.

"I don't understand all of this," he said. "But I believe you, son. And I'm here for you. Whatever you need."

Bret felt tears of relief and gratitude streaming down his face. "Thank you, Dad," he said. "I love you."

Grant smiled. "I love you too, son," he said. "And I can't wait to meet my grandson."

Bret walked away when he felt a tap on his shoulder, "Yes, Dad?"

"How do you go between Earth and Hell?" Because that's impossible to do such a feat." Grant sighed, "It's been on my mind for months figuring out how do can do such things."

Bret chuckled, "Ever heard of a Grimoire?"

Grant squinted, "Is that a French word or something?"

Bret laughed, "No, it's not a French word. It's a book of magic, spells, and incantations. I found one in Hell that allows me to travel between Hell and Earth."

Grant looked at Bret, his eyes wide with disbelief. "Magic? Spells? That's impossible!" he said.

Bret shrugged, "I know it sounds crazy, Dad. But it's the truth. And I can show you if you want."

Grant looked at Bret, then nodded slowly. "Okay," he said. "Show me."

Bret took the Grimoire from his bag and opened it to a page with the spell; from between the lines. He recited the words out loud, and suddenly, a portal appeared in front of the father & son.

Grant gasped, "What in the world?"

Bret smiled, "Come on, Dad. Let's go for a little ride."

Grant hesitated for a moment, then stepped through the portal with Bret. They emerged on the other side of Hell, surrounded by flames and brimstone.

Grant looked around, his eyes wide with shock. "This is unbelievable," he said.

Bret grinned, "I know, right? It's like nothing you've ever seen before."

Grant shook his head, "I can't believe it."

Bret put a hand on his dad's shoulder. "Believe it, Dad," he said. "This is my life now. And I wouldn't have it any other way."

"Can I head back to Earth now?" Grant panted, "I'd like the air conditioning, please."

Bret laughed, "Sure. Why not?"

Bret recited the incantation again, and the portal opened once more. They stepped through it, and when they emerged on the other side, they were back in Grant's living room.

Grant sat on the couch, still processing everything he had just seen. "I don't know what to say," he said. "This is all so unbelievable."

Bret sat down next to him. "I know it's a lot to take in, Dad. But I'm still your son, and I'm still alive, in my way. And I'm going to be a father soon."

Grant smiled, "Yes, you are. And I can't wait to meet my grandson."

Bret hugged his dad. "I love you, Dad," he said.

"I love you too, son," Gregory said.

Bret smiled, feeling grateful for his dad's acceptance. "I couldn't have asked for a better father," he thought.

"When am I gon' meet this girlfriend of yours?" Grant asked, "I mean... Come on, bud. You got a girl pregnant. I want to meet the mother."

"You'll meet her soon. Any more questions?" Bret asked.

Grant chuckled. "No more questions for now," he said. "I just need time to process everything I've just learned. But I'm happy for you, son. And I can't wait to meet your girlfriend and grandson."

Bret smiled. "Thanks, Dad. I'm happy," he said. "I promise to introduce you to Loona and our baby soon."

Grant nodded. "I'm holding you to that," he said with a grin.

Bret and Grant spent the rest of the day catching up on old times and talking. He'd explain Bret's new life in Hell. For the first time in months, Bret felt like he had a sense of peace and closure, knowing that his dad was okay and that he had accepted his new reality.

As the day was ending, Bret hugged his dad one last time before stepping through the portal back to Hell. He couldn't wait to see Loona and tell her about his dad's reaction to the news. He knew that no matter what, what challenges lay ahead? They would face them together as a family.

***

Bret groaned, "What a fucking day. Loona! I'm home!"

Loona rushed to the door, "How did it go?"

Bret grinned, "Better than I could have imagined. My dad is excited to meet his grandson."

"Aw, that's great news." Loona hugged him, "I'm happy for you."

Bret hugged her back, "I'm happy we get to share this."

Loona smiled, "Me too. Speaking of which, how was your trip to Earth?"

Bret rolled his eyes, "My dad complained about the heat, as usual. But it was worth seeing the look when I told him about the baby. Yes, Loona. The look of realization.

"I can't wait to see him too." Loona rubbed her belly, "And speaking of which, he's been kicking a lot today."

Bret's eyes lit up, "Really? Can I feel?"

Loona nodded, "Of course." She took Bret's hand and placed it on her belly. Sure enough, their unborn son gave a little kick.

Bret's face lit up with joy, "Wow. That's incredible."

Loona giggled, "I know, right?"

Bret smiled, "I can't wait to meet him."

The lovers crawled into bed and cuddled as Loona found out the hard way. Cuddling is impossible when pregnant. Loona squirmed, trying to cuddle with Bret. If Bret grabbed her, he could hurt her, "Honey, just lay on your back. It's easier."

Loona sighed, "I want to be on top of you."

Bret quietly chuckled, "Well... I want to protect the baby."

"Of course you do." Loona giggled.

"Goodnight, Loony," Bret whispered before he fell asleep.

"Goodnight, Bret," Loona spoke before falling asleep a few minutes later.

"I hope one day, I'll be able to clear this with everyone I know." Bret thought about every scenario in his head. Who would believe or doubt him about being dead but alive?