28: Reunions

It had been five years since the Battle of San Diego. Bret was deemed a leader and seen by the public as the legendary mythological hero. He looked back at the time and was saddened. He had also lost his best friend. He looked over the office's rooftop.

"Bret?" Loona called out.

"Hey, Loona." Bret's tone was full of hurt and pain.

"What's wrong?" Loona interlocked their fingers.

"I lost some valuable friends that day. I look back and see the look on their faces. The smell of death and decay. It's not the same, Loona. I lost Liam, out of all people!" Bret's explanation was enough.

Loona smiled and had him lie on the rooftop, "Listen to me. I know Liam was your best friend. I saw the connection when he was here and fighting alongside you. It was genuine loyalty. The bond will never break, babe. I promise you, even in the afterlife."

"I hope so." Bret frowned as Loona cuddled him in her lap.

After five years, they now had two children. Both boys, Thomas Grant Sobehrad and Liam Alexander Ellis. Named in honor of family and fallen friends. Liam's death was emotional for Bret. The last words Bret promised to have another kid. Loona was grateful to have another kid. Moxxie and Millie were the uncle and auntie of the kids.

"I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell." Bret lightly sang.

"You and your music. It's a staple of your past." Loona chuckled, and she scratched Bret's head.

"They called me Heart Attack." Bret chuckled, "You saw the hits I could make and the plays I caused."

"Look, rookie year was your worst year. You bounced back in sophomore year and got second in the Heisman votes. In my opinion, you should've won." Loona smiled, "If I hurt your feelings, tell me."

"Not at all, babe." Bret blushed as the head scratches got better.

"Doesn't it feel good?" Loona questioned.

"Awesome." Bret smiled as he kissed her stomach.

"My little boys are growing up." Loona cried happily.

Bret stood up and helped Loona, too, both standing and hugging. They had their differences, hopes, dreams, and the time to be partners, but going into parenthood? Young but ready, they stood.

"I hope Moxxie and Millie are having fun with the kids." Bret grinned, "I'm glad I got to see you up here. This time, you didn't shove me off the roof." 

*FLASHBACK*

"I'm sorry for doing this." Loona looked at Bret. Loona pushed Bret until he was nearly at his breaking point, and without warning.

"What are you—" Bret had said his final words. She shoved him off the edge, straight into the abyss where death awaited Bret.

The air was filled with grief as Bret's body was carried away in the back of a truck. The school fell into shock, and the news of his death ricocheted across the media. Soon, the world would know that Bret Sobehrad, the talented college football player, had committed suicide.

*END OF FLASHBACK*

"I never forgave myself for shoving you." Loona sighed, "It haunts me."

"Remember, I forgave you. You saved me from wanting to end it all. You killed me, and it changed me. The school thinks I'm still the best comeback player ever during the Soby era." Bret kissed his girlfriend reassuringly.

"Let's get back to work." Loona chuckled.

In the last five years, Bret changed his last name to a different last name, his decision: Ellis. Loona kept hers as Lovelorn as it was her birth name. Bret's decision was made with the help of Stolas, Loona, and Millie. Bret's new last name marked a new era: the Soby Eli era.