Chapter 4

When Nira woke up, it took her a few seconds to remember where she was

When Nira woke up, it took her a few seconds to remember where she was. She couldn't remember falling asleep, but except for being a little disoriented, she felt good. More rested than in what felt like ages. She yawned and sat up, looking at the alarm clock on her bedside table.

It was a little past midnight, which wasn't that strange to her. She was a light sleeper and rarely slept for long, anyway. Though she had no idea what woke her up this time. For once the temperature was comfortable, and Nef wasn't snoring.

Nef...wasn't snoring.

She turned around to look at him and froze for a second. He wasn't there.

With a frown, she got up and walked to the room that was both a living room and a kitchen, but he wasn't there either. Was he not in the apartment?

What if something had happened to him? Nira highly doubted he'd just go out by himself, so this probably had something to do with whatever had been going on with Alor before, though the details of that were blurry at best. She knew Alor was responsible most of the time, and he definitely wouldn't do something to hurt his younger brother, but she couldn't shake the bad feeling off. Dammit, why had she fallen asleep? Maybe she could have found something out if she hadn't.

Nira shook her head. That kind of thinking wasn't helpful. She needed to call Nef.

She started searching for her phone, spotting it on the table a few seconds later. She immediately grabbed it and dialed Nef's number, but a few seconds later, his ringtone started blaring from the couch. Disappointed, she let the phone ring until she found it. Nef had apparently left it on the couch, underneath a throw pillow.

With a sigh, Nira hung up and brought Nef's phone with her to the table. She stared at her own for a moment as she gathered her thoughts.

So, Nef was out, and he hadn't brought his phone. Given that Nef brought his phone everywhere with him, that wasn't a good sign.

Nira wished she could talk to him, just to make sure Nef was okay, but since she couldn't do that, she decided to make herself coffee to wake up a bit more instead of freaking out. She had no idea where he was, and she had no way of finding that out, so all she could do was wait for him to return.

Maybe she could try calling Alor? Except she didn't have his number. And while Nef did, she couldn't remember the passcode to his phone.

Nira tried to remember what she had heard Alor tell Nef. Something about Alor and someone else needing Nef's help. But what could Nef help them with? He was good with computers, but that didn't get her closer to an answer. If only she hadn't fallen asleep and missed everything, but at least her headache was gone now.

She was brought out of her pondering by the sound of the door opening and closing with a soft click, and suddenly she was looking at her boyfriend who stared back with surprise and badly masked guilt. A sense of relief filled her as soon as she saw him, but the feeling quickly dissipated because of the face he was making.