Chapter 17

They met up with Kaleth in the living room after walking from one side of the mansion to the other

They met up with Kaleth in the living room after walking from one side of the mansion to the other. While there was antique furniture, there were also modern aspects, like the unnecessarily large TV, and the movie projector, which made it easier not to be reminded too much of Irithara.

Still, Nira didn't want to stay here for much longer—she never felt completely at ease when she was in someone else's home, but being in a house owned by the Garen family was much worse. It felt like this was enemy territory. Sure, technically the whole country was enemy territory to her, and she wasn't supposed to be here, but she was usually perfectly comfortable in Enoria.

Besides Kaleth and Mel, there was another person in the room, who Nira recognized immediately—Ramien's daughter Edras. It wasn't exactly hard to identify her. The woman owned one of the biggest companies Enoria had to offer, and if that wasn't enough, she also wore glasses made of gold and blackened platinum. Nira was pretty sure that Edras was the only person on the planet who wore glasses like those.

Nira quickly compared Kaleth and Edras and frowned. If someone told her they were related, she wouldn't believe them. It looked like the only thing they shared was a parent. Edras had brown, slightly wavy hair, and her eyes were hazel, not green. Nira was taken aback by that. All Garens had green eyes, just like in her family everyone's eyes were a blue-violet color. Maybe she hadn't been paying enough attention when she learned about her.

"Wow, Kaleth, your dad looks way different than I imagined," Rayni commented as she entered the room, looking at Edras, who was sitting on the couch. Nira wanted to roll her eyes, but when Edras looked away from Kaleth to focus on them and laughed at the joke, she forgot all about it. Fortunately, Kaleth did it for her. She had to admit, he really knew how to make himself look exasperated. He must have had a lot of time and opportunities to master the expression.

"So, who are you again? You look familiar." Rayni continued, taking a seat on the couch on the opposite side of the glass table. The rest of the agents did the same as her, and finally, even Nef and Nira sat down. The couch was so big that even with five people sitting on it there was still room for about two more.

Edras looked more than happy to answer Rayni's question, but Kaleth beat her to it. "Edras Garen, my half-sister, a multi-millionaire, and the CEO of Velox."

"I'm a billionaire now, actually," Edras corrected him but didn't seem at all upset that Kaleth had stolen the introduction from her. Behind her relaxed exterior was something else though—wariness, or maybe even fear. What could she possibly be afraid of?

"Oh, right, I remember now. We got our cars from you," Rayni said, nodding her head. "Damn, I liked those cars."

"Wait," Edras said, frowning and pushing her glasses up the bridge of her nose, "what organization do you work for, exactly?"

"Luxarx," answered Kara, folding her arms over her chest.

"Oh! Right, of course," Edras said, smiling once more. She let out a breath and laughed, looking at her half-brother. "You had me worried there, Kaleth. I thought you were a murderer or something. I was at your headquarters about two weeks ago. Why didn't you tell me you work for them?"