Chapter 25

When Kaleth entered his apartment, he immediately headed to the living room and didn't pay attention to anything else

When Kaleth entered his apartment, he immediately headed to the living room and didn't pay attention to anything else. He didn't want to give himself enough time to start feeling nostalgic as he went through the metal box he stored all of his memorabilia in, including the bullet. He ignored everything inside the box that wasn't that as he rummaged through it. Or at least he tried to. When he came across a picture of Teran, he took a moment to look at it, feeling more and more guilty. He hadn't really checked if he was okay after telling Kaleth the name of Relioth's base, or tried to thank him, for that matter.

Still, he had to be alive, at least. Teran was powerful, and his sudden death would be all over the media. The possibility that he had been possessed was also not totally out of the question, but Kaleth quickly swept that thought away as he finally found what he had come here for.

Looking at the bullet made him feel angry enough to grit his teeth, but at least he found some solace in the fact that soon enough he'd be returning it to its rightful owner. He glared at the bladed cross intently. He hadn't known what it symbolized back then, and when he had looked it up and seen the symbol in religious texts, he still hadn't connected the dots. He had just assumed the people he had worked for used it randomly because it looked nice.

Of course, now he knew better. It was quite odd for Relioth to still use this symbol, though. It was supposed to symbolize the unity among the three most powerful Eternals—the top blade was supposed to be Enor's, the one on the bottom belonged to Relioth, and the two remaining were Mereria's daggers. Sometimes the cross was also a part of Enor's shield—the Lightward, or Luxarx. Kaleth was sure the weapons had names too, but he didn't remember them.

Mereria had no problems distancing herself from the other two, judging by the symbols that Mel had on his armor, so why didn't Relioth just replace the cross with the scythe he supposedly used? Kaleth wondered if Relioth even had one, given how impractical a weapon like that would be, but knowing him, he probably did have it. He had always been a style-over-substance kind of person.

Kaleth clutched the bullet in his hand, getting up and leaving the apartment without looking back. He would most likely never see it again, but he didn't even stop to think about it. He had roughly an hour to get to the Citadel, avoid the EFP, who was definitely going to be there already, pick the best location to shoot from, and then get to that location.

Once in the car, he pushed the othrin bullet into his sniper rifle's magazine. As soon as it left his fingers, he realized he felt oddly drained. Though he supposed that was to be expected after holding othrin in his bare hand.

Kaleth shook his head to clear it and then loaded the gun and took it apart. He put the parts into a thick, blue plastic bag he had found in the car's compartment box. It almost felt wrong to do this to a weapon he'd owned for half of his life, but unfortunately, the box it was usually in was still in his car, which was parked near Carcer. Scowling, he put the bag on the passenger seat and took off.