Chapter 8

Nef had doubted that they'd find anything useful under the name Carcer in the database because, in the other files, the name had been redacted, but he was proven wrong when he found a single folder titled Carcer

Nef had doubted that they'd find anything useful under the name Carcer in the database because, in the other files, the name had been redacted, but he was proven wrong when he found a single folder titled Carcer. There were only many, many blueprints of the place with no real descriptions of which room contained what. It was still better than nothing, but it didn't tell them anything about what the hell the building was for, and Nef was starting to hate these unending questions.

It seemed to be in the middle of a forest in east Enoria, which meant that it was pretty close, and his brother and the rest of his colleagues would get there fast, but that was basically all they knew. And now they were arguing. It should have been funny to watch, but instead, it was just exhausting. And because the room was small, there was no way he could tune it out.

"...and you can't do this on your own. You don't even know what you'll find there!" Kara half yelled at Kaleth, clearly tired by this as well.

"And if you're not our tech support and don't tell us where to go, we'll all die," Rayni said with a grin and was promptly shouted at.

"Shut up, Ray!"

Nef groaned and ran a hand through his hair. "How 'bout I tell you where to go, and you all go?"

"No!" said Alor immediately and looked at Nef disapprovingly. For some reason, Alor had started to act a little too over-protective halfway through Nef's visit to Luxarx. It was starting to get annoying. "You've been involved enough as it is."

"Chill, bro," Nef replied, folding his arms and scowling. "It's not like someone's making me. Plus, I'm an adult now, in case you haven't noticed."

Alor opened his mouth to continue the argument but was stopped by sudden laughter from Rayni.

"Oh, sorry," she said when everyone turned to look at her, trying to stop laughing. "I'm just loving the hypocrisy."

"What hypocrisy?" Alor asked, sounding outraged, which only made Rayni smile wider.

"Oh, y'know—the fact that you don't want your brother to involve himself with us 'cause it's dangerous while working here yourself."

Alor opened and closed his mouth a few times, saying nothing. Nef couldn't help but smirk. Maybe he and Rayni could join forces and infuriate people—or just Alor—together.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Kaleth asked Nef calmly, despite all the arguing from before that had made even his brother lose his cool. Nef wondered if something else had happened that had put Alor on edge. It couldn't be just the arguing, right?

"Yep," Nef answered and grinned. "If you think I can do it."

"It's quite simple," Kara told him, shrugging a little. "We'll live stream you what we're seeing through the cameras on our goggles, and you'll guide us using the blueprints."