Chapter Five

Joel and Caroline became inseparable. Joel began picking Caroline up before school every day, often greeting her with her favorite breakfast smoothie, strawberry banana. He also drove her home from school, prompting Joel to actually start staying full days at school.

"Who's this girl you've been spending so much time with? I'd like to meet her. She's a miracle worker." Joel's dad asked him one day while they were walking out to the fields to begin work.

"What?" Joel asked, genuinely puzzled by his dad's statements.

"You haven't missed a day of school in three weeks, Joel."

"Oh, well I guess you're right. Maybe someday you can meet her, dad." Joel was a little stunned that his dad had even noticed that he'd been attending school.

Sometimes after school, instead of dropping Caroline off at her house, the pair would stop for ice cream or go through walks through their local park. Joel didn't tell Caroline this, but sometimes he would come up with the most ridiculous excuses just so he could spend a few more minutes with her.

"Joel, there's no way you actually have a reason to go into the library. When's the last time you've actually picked up a book?" Caroline said half teasingly, half actually curious.

"I'm serious Caroline!" Joel said, shooting her his classic grin. "There's a book I need for class, and I need to pick it up."

"Oh, what's it called? Cat in the Hat?"

"No, To Kill A Mockingbird."

"I read that in like seventh grade."

"You know, you don't have to be a show off all of the time." Joel said, trying to act wounded.

"Oh, Joel, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make you feel bad." Caroline said as she lifted his hand and gently gave it a kiss.

"I'm just playin' with you. I know I'm dumber than a box of rocks." Joel chuckled.

"Hey! I actually believed you that time!"

"You always believe me, sweetheart."

Joel pulled up to the library and went in to grab his book. He was gone for about ten minutes, and then came back to the truck.

"Turns out you need a library card to check out library books."

"Please tell me you're joking."

"Kinda. I have one, I guess I just must have forgotten it at home."

"Well, guess you've gotta come back."

"That's alright. I should probably get you home anyways." Joel said, patting her knee.

"What if you didn't take me home?"

"I mean sure, would you like to go grab dinner somewhere?" Joel asked, sort of confused.

"What if we go to your house instead?" Caroline said, trying to mask her nervousness surrounding the question. She'd never been to Joel's house before. She's never met his parents or his brother. They've been dating for over three months now. Whenever she'd bring up something about meeting his parents, he'd shut it down immediately. Caroline wondered why he was so sensitive about this topic, but surely she'd have to meet his family eventually.

"Uhhh, I mean, why would you want to do that? We could just-"

"Joel Miller. What are you so afraid of? It's just your family. I'm your girlfriend. I'll have to meet them eventually. Are you embarrassed of me or something?"

"Absolutely not, Caroline. That's not what this is about. I'm just worried about what you'll think."

"Joel. Stop it. I love you. I bet I'll love your family. C'mon. Take me to your house."