Chapter Twelve.

♡ M I L A ♡

Since the day he left me hanging, bewildered and for some reason hurt, I have crossed paths with Heath only a few times. The hustle and bustle of freshers' week has kept me busy, thankfully, and I have had little time to brood over him. Yet, a part of me longs for even a glimpse of him, wondering where he is and what he's up to these days.

I feel like I'm going crazy already.

Anyway, what a week it has been! Freshers' week was an absolute blast. Jennie and I had a fun time attending all the events that our immediate seniors had planned for us. From scavenger hunts to karaoke nights, we did it all. Not a single dull moment! It was so great to meet other freshies like us, but we ended up mostly hanging out with Asher and the rest of the hockey team... no, the one I was looking for was nowhere in sight... or anywhere at all, and I couldn't help but wonder why.

I let it go. I guess he is not particularly fond of social events like these. Additionally, it seems unlikely that he would prefer to spend his time with a bunch of freshers when he can use it for more productive activities. I try not to dwell on it too much, realizing that I barely knew the guy and probably never would. It's just one of those things that I had to let go of and move on from.

Forget it already, Mila.

Tonight, you're supposed to loosen up and have fun like any normal eighteen-year-old.

I sigh.

What's tonight, you ask?

It's the grand finale of our first month as first-year students, and the atmosphere is buzzing with anticipation, a.k .a. Freshers' Night or Soirée des Bleu-a party with a fancy name.

French, sexy.

But there's one catch: we're required to attend with a partner, like a date or something.

I can't help but feel frustrated by this outdated rule. Why should we be forced to pair up with someone just for the sake of tradition? As an introverted and shy person, I find it hard enough to make friends, let alone ask someone out. And my roommate Jennie is in the same boat. She had plenty of offers, but she's not interested in any of them... because of me. Can you believe it? I tried convincing her otherwise, but she shut me up with a warm smile and a simple sentence.

"Mila, we don't need dates. Friends are enough for me. And if anyone asks, let's say we're each other's dates, okay?" Her words really touched my heart.

I still can't believe anyone would go to such lengths for plain ol' me.

And so, here we are outside the party venue, buzzing with excitement. Isla is with us after her roommate Megan bailed on her to join Nicole and some sophomore guys.

The music is already thumping in the background, and we can feel the energy building up as I glance over at the girls. I can't help but feel delighted by how absolutely stunning and fancy we look in our outfits tonight. Isla is wearing a beautiful pink blazer dress that accentuates her curves perfectly, while Jennie is rocking a metallic one-shoulder dress that shimmers in the light. As for me, I'm wearing a grey-pink off-the-shoulder midi dress that has intricate floral embroidery and bishop sleeves that give it an ethereal feel.

When I twirl, I feel like a princess in a fairy tale.

It's going to be a fantastic night, and we're all in it together.

The moment we step inside the stunningly decorated venue, our eyes widen in amazement at the sight before us. Colorful streamers are draped from the ceiling, adding a festive touch to the ambiance. The disco ball in the center of the room sparkles and casts a mesmerizing glow across the entire space.