24. Lila's Betrayal

Wednesday, November 16

Bingo and Lila were walking towards the playground when Alex stepped in their path again. Bingo shot him an annoyed glance and  walked around him but Lila didn't follow. She was talking to Alex for some reason. "So, you're coming over for dinner tonight right?" Lila asked him with hope in her eyes. "Yeah, I'll be there by six. See you later Lilac." He giggled. Alex then proceeded to walk away from her to go play with the young Rottweiler pup who was playing soccer. Lila ran back up to Bingo going as fast as her little legs would take her but when she finally caught up Bingo was not in a good mood. "What was that all about." She demanded as she looked down upon the younger Maltese pup. "W-well I invited Alex over for dinner to meet my parents I guess." She whispered, avoiding Bingo's judgmental eyes. "Why? You know he's a total meanie! Why would you 'invite' him over for dinner!" Bingo yelled making the smaller pup jump back in fear. "Well we're sort of going out now." Lila exhaled still avoiding Bingo's eyes. "I thought you were different." Bingo sighed as she walked away from the Maltese leaving her alone. 

Lila looked down at her wrist, she was still wearing the friendship bracelet that she had gotten from the party years ago along with the one that Bingo had given her for her birthday. She reached down into her little purse and pulled out a photo of her and Bingo that they had cut out from their yearbooks. She looked down upon it as she walked to sit down on a nearby bench.

 She looked down upon it as she walked to sit down on a nearby bench

She admired the picture and then she looked back at Bingo. It was taken a few weeks before she had gotten her hair cut. She looked a lot different now but she still looked good with it but that was Bingo, she could pull off anything. She slumped down on the bench and pulled out her phone to check the time and maybe play a game or two. She then put the picture back in her bag and that's when Alex came wandering over. 

"Hey Lilac, what's the matter?" He softly questioned as he sat down beside her. "Bingo hates me because I started going out with you. She doesn't really like you that much, it may seem like she doesn't mind you but deep down she despises you." Lila sighed as she opened a runner game on her phone. "Lila look at me, she doesn't hate you. She's just upset because of how I treated her and now she's just scared for you. She thinks that you made the wrong choice of choosing me and honestly she's right." Alex admitted as he looked down at his feet. Lila quickly wrapped him in a tight hug then left the bench and headed towards the playground leaving Alex alone again.

She felt a sense of urgency and insecurity as she grew closer to the playground. Bingo was playing grounders with Juniper and Harley, she seemed happy but not as happy as she normally was. Lila took a few steps closer and worked up the courage to step into the sand. It was burning hot on her feet but she felt as if she deserved it for hurting Bingo's feelings. 

"What do you want?" Bingo snubbed. She was peering down on Lila in disappointment the same way she had done by the doors. "I-I'm sorry for whatever I did Bingo, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings." Lila apologized as Bingo walked down the small ladder and stepped onto the sand in front of her. "why would you choose him Lila? You knew the devil would always disguise himself, so why did you give in?" Bingo asked. "w-w-well I don't know, I just did what felt right, even if it was the wrong decision." Lila admitted shakily. Bingo was really not pleased with her answer and snapped back "well what you thought was the "right" decision was not a good decision. I just don't want to see you get hurt." Bingo sighed slightly at the end of her statement. Now she was the one avoiding eye contact. Lila smiled a little bit at Bingo's response, she was just looking out for her but she didn't have to be mean about it. Lila still couldn't help but feel a little betrayed by her friend's response although it wasn't really her choice to make. "If you want me to be happy than I suggest accepting my decisions." Lila said with melancholy in her throat. "Alright, I'm sorry, I'm a bit bossy sometimes." Bingo replied. "So, can we still be friends?" Bingo asked softly. "Of course Bingo! Who else would be my friend if you weren't?" Lila happily smiled. 

She looked deep into Bingo's eyes and found the serenity she had been lacking for the past few days. She hadn't slept well the past few nights because she was too busy worrying what Bingo would have said but in the end it was just better to come clean. Maybe she would finally get a good nights sleep tonight if everything went smoothly with Alex but knowing him, that probably wouldn't happen.