PROLOGUE

Two Years Earlier...

"Today on News Channel Eight, we're featuring Bel-Air's Hill Academy, now the most renowned high school in the USA," the news anchor announced on TV. "Let's take a look at an exclusive video showcasing a remarkable scholarship opportunity at this school."

Pearl Adams was fixated on the television screen, her eyes wide with interest. She tapped her elder sister, Emma Adams, who was just a year older, on the shoulder to draw her attention to the television.

"Are you a motivated and talented student dreaming of a brighter future? Look no further!" A brown-skinned girl in the school's uniform spoke on the TV. "Here at Hill Academy, we believe in unlocking your potential and shaping tomorrow's leaders. That's why we're excited to announce our scholarship program that covers tuition, textbooks, and even accommodation for deserving students like you."

Emma turned to Pearl, noting the wide smile on her face. "You're not planning to go to Hill Academy, are you?" she asked.

"Of course I am, Sis. I want to go there," Pearl replied.

"But you know their fees are expensive," Emma said. "We are even far away from where the school is situated."

"Didn't you hear? Their scholarship program even covers accommodation," Pearl persisted.

"You're the only family I have left after our parents died in the car crash. Do you want us to stay apart?" Emma's eyes glistened with unshed tears as she posed the question.

"Hey, come on, big sis. Let's not dwell on the past," Pearl said. "I know things have been tough since Mom and Dad... well, you know. But trust me, this could be a fresh start for both of us. And besides, it's not like I'm gonna stay there forever. Plus, it won't change the fact that you're smarter than me," she added with a playful wink, hoping to bring a smile to her sister's face.

"Okay, fine, you can go, but you have to be careful there," Emma agreed.

The girl on the TV added, "Apply now and join our community of scholars at Hill Academy!"

Three weeks later, Pearl Adams, who had never stepped foot in Bel-Air, found herself on her way to its prestigious high school.

The towering five-story school building, with its pristine white walls and imposing rooftop, left her in awe. The sight of two flags flying high in the compound added to the grandeur. Inside, it felt like heaven on earth for her. Unlike her old school, this one boasted separate labs for all kinds of science experiments, and the teachers welcomed her with open arms. The classrooms were equipped with electronic boards, ceiling lights, and air conditioning, ensuring a modern learning environment, with each student having their own desk. She was thrilled to discover a Magazine club, responsible for publishing the school's newspapers and managing their social media accounts. The convenience of elevators made moving through the five stories of the school building a breeze. Her dormitory, named the Ship House for its ship-like design, offered spacious accommodations. Her own room was a haven of comfort, with an air conditioner, vibrant study desks, a television set, and a luxurious bathroom. It was as if everything she had ever dreamed of had suddenly come to life.

Being one of the few scholarship students among the predominantly wealthy attendees at Hill Academy, Pearl wanted to bridge the gap and befriend those from affluent backgrounds.... but her efforts led to an unfortunate outcome.

One evening, Emma Adams repeatedly dialed her sister's number, each attempt met with silence.

"Is Pearl okay?" she wondered.

Ignoring her worries, she turned on the television only to hear the shocking news.

"We interrupt tonight's broadcast with tragic news from Bel-Air's Hill Academy, where a scholarship student has reportedly taken her own life. The reasons behind this devastating act remain unclear. The deceased, Miss Pearl Adams, passed away during the school's night party..."

Emma's knees buckled as a sob tore through her. "No, this can't be true!" She covered her mouth with a trembling hand. "Why would my sister, Pearl, commit suicide? Something is not right. What life at all do students live in the halls of Hill Academy? I need to find out."