Prologue: The Sparrow and The Bat

Cole POV

I woke up with a cold sweat and found myself on the ground. With a groan, I realised that it was the same dream. The dream where my parents died in a car crash and I survived, albeit not unscathed. Now, I moved from New York city to Paris to start again with my uncle, aunt and cousin Layla.

"Cole, get up! We're gonna be late!" My cousin shouted from outside my room.

"Go ahead! I'll catch up!" I said.

"Ok! But, be quick!" She replied and left.

 I sighed and picked myself up from the floor, removing my grubby t-shirt and shorts, only to see the three scars on my chest.

"3 months of therapy and you're still getting nightmares

"3 months of therapy and you're still getting nightmares." I muttered.

 I took a shower and dressed myself in a dark green shirt, army jacket,  blue-gray jeans and brown boots.

"About time. Your cousin has just left." Uncle Matthew said as he got his coat.

"I've noticed." I replied as I ate some toast.

"Take care, Cole." Aunt Elizabeth said as she pecked me on the cheek.

"I will." I said and made my way out of the penthouse and down the street via my skateboard until I saw an old man in a Hawaiian shirt getting harassed by a group of men. I looked to see that no one stepped up to defend the man, much less report the thugs.

"Hey, leave him alone!" I called to the group.

The three men scowled at me while the old man looked in shock. The leader sneered as he advanced towards me while I stared back at him, showing no fear. He looked back at his friends and laughed.

"Look at this punk. Thinks he can play the hero, eh?" He said as his friends while the chuckled.

"Why don't you pick on some your own size?" I replied.

The thugs laughed and started to surround me while I waited for them to make their move, bouncing on the balls of my feet and thinking back to my uncle's teachings. Don't make the first move, just wait for them to strike.